squeak in low 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, thanks in advance for your opinions on this 1!

So I took the new truck out yesterday to a mountain not to far away and drove it up and around some of the 4bying trails and was very, very pleased with its traction and over-all comfort while taking on some fairly steep terain.

When I have the rig in 4low there is a steady squeking from what sounds like the front bearings, but there isn't a sound when not in 4low???

I thought it could be the centerdiff, but i dont really know to much about the truck yet so I thought I would ask you all!

It is a steady squeak, sounds very similar to a rotating, rubbing, sound.

BCLX450

the t-case often makes a whining whirring noise in 4 lo, especially if you are using it for extended periods at higher speeds or engine braking for a descent. this seems to be the case with both the 442 and 343 trannies. it sounds kind of disturbing but i've been told before it's normal. i don't know if it is related to the fact the cdl is locked or not but I may check that out next time.

by the way, where did you go?

I went to Sumas Mountain near Abbotsford, in the fraser valley....

My brother inlaw has a Jeep YJ and he took me to the trails that he goes to on the mountain, they were fairly tame, and the branches were cut back so no scratches to the paint.... that was nice!

I was going quite slowly trying to test the traction, so I hope that the noise was the transfer case, I am going to Lexus to ask about Grease, or Lube points and check on those.

Unless someone here can advise me :)

BCLX450

Your drive shafts each have 3 grease fittings. Be sure to only put a couple squirts in the fitting on each that feeds the splines. If the "mechanic" can't figure out which ones these are, find another one or damage may ensue.

If the squeaking continues after this lube, repost this thread and take it from there. Going to the dealer's going to be interesting. We're all going to be interested in the $1200 estimate to fix it......

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Going to the dealer's going to be interesting. We're all going to be interested in the $1200 estimate to fix it......

DougM

More like $1400 from those :censor: 's.

i advise you not to take a problem with 4 lo to a Lexus dealer. they will have no experience with that position on the t-case.

buy a lube gun and lube the drive shafts yourself or take it to jiffy lube and make sure they follow doug's instructions with the zirc fitting for the yoke.

if that don't answer why don't you come out with Riley or I one weekend soon and we'll listen to it? Both of us initially thought we had a problem with 4 lo as you do. PM me if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom