Squeak coming from front driver side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here and thus my first post. (Apologies if this has been covered, found a couple threads on the issue but with no end result posted) Purchased a 98 LC with 270k miles. Within a week I slapped on an OME lift. Observations at that time is that most bushings are shot, some worse than others, as well as driver/passenger upper ball joint boots are torn (stock arms,have new boots on the way).

After installation of lift (approx 3 weeks now) I started hearing a squeak from the driver side. A week went by and it went away, had also been raining all that week. Last night took the LC for a drive and the noise is back (can only hear it with window down). Noise does not produce when turning left or right,Only when I hit a bump or the suspension compress/decompress.

today I jacked it up, took the wheels off and saw that the upper shock mount nut on driver side was About finger tight. Tightened that down and also saw that the sway bar links bushing were way past “on their way out”. I’m thinking that’s my culprit of the noise.

purpose of this post is to see if anyone more knowledgeable than me (most people on here) with LC’s have any other ideas of what might be the culprit.

When I had this sound on my 4runner it was the control arm bushing. Replace all of the bushings. Its looks if they need it.

I'd say you're on the right track. Could hopefully be as simple as any of the sway bar bushings. I had a squeak and light clunk go away when I replaced my worn links and bushings with Trail Tailor extended links. Then again it could be something like the steering rack bushing or any number of other things. I know which one I'd start with... And it looks like you do too :)

Thanks for the replies. Attempted to re boot the upper ball joints today, but could not get a good purchase on the castle nuts and began to round the nut over.....$!&@.

also the noise is still not present when turning the wheel stationary and only present when I turn left while moving. Is still present when driving straight and hit a bump or similar.

still in the right direction on it being the torn boot or sway bar links?

I was more or less saying that since you *know* the sway bushings are shot, and that they're relatively easy/cheap to address compared to most things ... I'd probably start there. I did have a squeak/clunk that I thought might be shock based turn out to be the front sway bushings.
As for the rest... (and full disclosure, I'm far from a pro... Just a long time Mud lurker/driveway mechanic) it sounds like you're looking for something that's squeaking during suspension movement? Ie.... Turn left.... Left side suspension unloads...squeak. If that sounds about right I think I'd still be looking for a clapped out rubber (poly,ect) wear item. Sway bar stuff/control arm bushings, shocks etc. Unless you feel the squeak is from the turning itself (rack etc) and not from the suspension movement from the turn.... But I think you'd hear that when you were stopped too.
If the upper/lower ball joints are still your concern, I think you can check them out like you'd check the wheel bearings, ie.... Jack tire off ground, and try to give a good solid shake vertically with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock on the tire. But I'd think anything you might hear there is going to be more of a clunk than a squeak.
Anyhow... Hopefully someone a little more front end savvy than myself will get in here to offer some (squeaking) sound advice for you soon.

Last edited:
Update: swapped the old and extremely tired front sway bar link for some extended trail tailors. Also rebooted the driver side upper ball joint. Easy process all in all. Preliminary review is that the noise is virtually GONE!....

I believe majority of the noise was coming from the torn upper ball joint boot and the little noise I’m hearing now may be the outter tie rod end which the boot is torn.

Update: swapped the old and extremely tired front sway bar link for some extended trail tailors. Also rebooted the driver side upper ball joint. Easy process all in all. Preliminary review is that the noise is virtually GONE!....

I believe majority of the noise was coming from the torn upper ball joint boot and the little noise I’m hearing now may be the outter tie rod end which the boot is torn.
Nice work! Glad you got it figured out

Another update: mainly for newbs like myself that come looking for answers that may have the same issue.

I replaced the front upper and lower ball joints on driver and passenger side as well as outter tie rods. The noise is completely gone, steering is stiff and handles like a champ now. In my case this is what resolved the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom