Square hitch UK and departure angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my 91 , it had a UK standard tow bar hanging so far down the back of it the departure angle was shocking. I quickly took it off and it got better. I can’t tow now and I am wanting removable options without massive frame bolts.
I have seen square hitches in the USA and Australia now and wonder if these are available over here and if anyone has done it?

Why don't you bolt a pintle ball hitch onto the rear bumper? I lived in the UK for 7 years; not sure I ever noticed one but wasn't really looking at the time.

49E3D8E1-748A-44B0-BEBD-8A6265061227.jpeg

I've a NATO-type hitch on the back of mine but with truck its too high for normal trailers (ok for my higher offroad trailer).
I don't really want to put on a ladder type connector (allows it to be moved up/down) as that sucks from a departure angle aspect but yet to come up with an alternative

I've a NATO-type hitch on the back of mine but with truck its too high for normal trailers (ok for my higher offroad trailer).
I don't really want to put on a ladder type connector (allows it to be moved up/down) as that sucks from a departure angle aspect but yet to come up with an alternative

Well what I do is pick the trailer hitch up higher so that I can put it on the ball. It works every time. :cheers:

Well what I do is pick the trailer hitch up higher so that I can put it on the ball. It works every time. :cheers:
Not always a good option. High at the hitch means low at the tail and driving over a bump in the road putting the nose of the tow vehicle downhill will raise your hitch even higher and has the potential to drive the tail of your trailer into the ground. Ask me how I know :eek:

For 'normal' trailers its unsafe as too high an angle

I have the OME "stock" height springs and 285's and haven't had any trouble. However, the only trailers I have ever pulled are 6x12 enclosed, tandem axle U-Haul rentals. They sit a tad tongue high but it hasn't been an issue. I can certainly see how a short, single axle utility trailer with smallish tires might sit at quite an angle.

Over here (Ireland) the trailers may be lower to the ground? than the UHaul and US trailers.
I've a 2.5" lift (likely lower these days) on 33" so not overly high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom