square fine spline pinon yokes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kling-on

Kool Arrow
Threads
Website
www.texas4x4.org
ok I just bought a set of SOA FJ40 axles with 4.88's and a rear DET ... now the owner "said" it had 4.88 in the front too BUT I saw in the pics the square yoke ... so I ask the Mud gods ... is there a fine spline square yoke .... or did I just buy a 4.88 fine and 4.10 course axle
front toy1.jpg
rear toy1.jpg

you can see the after market multi drilled yoke on the rear

Factory flange in 1978 was square design and would have been fine spline and compatible with aftermarket 4.88 gear sets,

:meh:

So there is a chance I'm ok cool

Joel, you could have taken two minutes to take the end of the driveshaft off and looked at the pinion NUT. If it is as large as the one on the multi-drilled flange, it's gonna be fine spline; the coarse splined pinions also had smaller nuts. IIRC, it's the difference between 18mm and 22.

Best

Mark A.

Good to know to as soon as they show up I'll ck that... But they arent here yet other wise I'd of pulled em apart to ck ...

Hi All:

X 2 what 65swb45 wrote! :)

On a side note, what year is that frame the axles are attached to? I'm guessing a 1979-84 since it does not look like any pre-'79 40 Series frame I've seen! ;)

Regards,

Alan

ok I just bought a set of SOA FJ40 axles with 4.88's and a rear DET ... now the owner "said" it had 4.88 in the front too BUT I saw in the pics the square yoke ... so I ask the Mud gods ... is there a fine spline square yoke .... or did I just buy a 4.88 fine and 4.10 course axle

On a side note, what year is that frame the axles are attached to? I'm guessing a 1979-84 since it does not look like any pre-'79 40 Series frame I've seen! ;)

Regards,

Alan

It is a mini-truck frame...

Yup mini truck frame 84 or 85 if I remember correct

I installed a FJ62 diff in a 77 FJ40 front axle that had a round flange. I guess it is possible to have the round flange.

I installed a FJ62 diff in a 77 FJ40 front axle that had a round flange. I guess it is possible to have the round flange.

Sure, I have seen 1974 with coarse spline round flanges as well...

Ok fail front 4.10 corse rear blown up 4.88 at least he gave me my money back ... Back on the parts hunt:meh:

Factory flange in 1978 was square design and would have been fine spline and compatible with aftermarket 4.88 gear sets,

Fine spline pinions started 1/78. It was a mid-year change. There are lots of course spline '78 diffs out there. Just a FYI for future reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom