Sputtered and died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new fuel tank installed at the local toyota dealership courtesy of the recall on the fuel tanks. Picked up the cruiser filled it up and headed up into the mountains with the kids. On the way back home I was cruising about 65 on the freeway and it just started sputtering, total loss of power and once I pushed the clutch in it died. Once we stopped rolling I turned the key and it start up just fine. Got back on the freeway and it started doing it again once I got up to about 45. It continued to do this until finally if just wouldn't start anymore. I had a full tank of gas and only put 90 miles on before this happened. Got it towed back to the dealership thinking it is something that they caused since it has been running fine before the new tank was installed. They have been scratching there heads about it for the past 2 days of course they have only started it and driven it around the dealership. Any ideas on what this could be causing this.

I've heard of those "new" tanks needing a good blowing out before install. Do you know if the dealer cleaned it up good before replacing? Without knowing more, my guess is some crud in your carb from your new tank.

Hope you stumble on an easy fix!
Butt

It's real easy to crimp the leads to the fuel pump if you're not careful (FJ62). Also check the DS rear wheel well and make sure that the connector for the fuel pump is seated properly and isn't corroded.

Next step, it this checks out, would be a fresh fuel filter.

I'll be talking with the dealership shortly and I'll see if they blowed out the tank and cleaned it up before they installed.

I got a new fuel pump on there only about a month old the filter has been on there for about 2 months.

As for the Carb that is next on my to do list might just be happening a little sooner then I thought.

Thanks for the input

Mine does the same thing. Ussually about 100 miles into a tank of gas usually on highway or just about the time I get to the trail(pita). but Whats this about a gas tank recall? Mine sputters and bucks and tries to cut off when I give it gas. I've replaced the fuel filter 4-5 times 2-3 times in one tank of gas. So I guess it's not the filter. I've put sea foam in and tried running it out of gas. But thats tough since the gauge is broken. IT's been doing it for about a year now. I did get it to smooth out when it acted up. I floored it down hill so it had enough momentum to keep running. It's a real pain on the trail though.

There was a recall for FJ60 fuel tank. They had a tendancy to leak at the seams. You can call up your local dealership and give them the VIN # and they can look it up for ya. I started having this problem 90 miles after they put the new tank in. Just curious if anyone else has had this same problem and how to fix it. My pump should be good going to start replacing fuel lines and eventually get to the carb.

I desmoged it and it ran so good afterward that I haven't done anything to the carb or dizzy yet. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

i got the toyota non usa carb as part of desmog, highly recommend. But that was a few years ago and it ran great. I changed the filter after she started running rough and that seemed to fix it for a while. I dont drive her but a few times a month, so I wondered if it was condensation in the tank . Seems like it only happens at hwy speeds, then gets worse as i continue. The only time It cuts off is on the trail, so I thought mabey some junk is getting stirred up. At first I thought it was an incline issue or mabey heat related. Unfortunatly I havent really eliminated to many variables, except mabey the fuel filter, as I've changed that many times.

Heartworm had the same problem when his tank was done afew years ago. tank wasn't cleaned out before installing.

Yeah: The dealership did not clean out the tank when they did the recall on mine. There is a post that covers that trauma on here. What you need to include in the clean-up is the little screen in the carburetor where the gas line enters. They changed the fuel filter the first time it crapped out (about 5 blocks from the dealership) and I made it about 20 miles the next time. I broke the line loose, took a twig and gouged around on the screen and then cranked it with the fitting loose to splash some fresh gas on the screen. Made it back to the dealership and threw a duck fit.

Picked it up from the dealership on friday. Of course they said it was fine. Going ot have to take a good look at it now. Don't want to get stuck up in the mountains with is. Since I have desmogged it already I am considering getting the carb and dizzy done. I think that will help out a lot. Thanks Heartworm I will take a look at that tonight and also a new fuel filter is in the near future too

I just spoke to the dealer, she claims the recall had allready been done on mine. however she wasn't very convinceing. She found it hard to bevieve my 84 was still on the road. Any ways any one have any suggestions for my case.

I just spoke to the dealer, she claims the recall had allready been done on mine. however she wasn't very convinceing. She found it hard to bevieve my 84 was still on the road. Any ways any one have any suggestions for my case.

just show up and have her punch in the vin #, and show you it has been done and where. if not they have to do it, I think, as it was a recall that is supposed to last until all have been replaced.

Hmmmmmm gonna have mine checked :hmm:

Then when I switch to my Bronco tank I'll have a bitchin' new clean rust-freetank to sell

sshhhh don't tell anyone :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom