SPRINGS????????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of stock springs off from a donor fj40, its a 68, mines a 76. the springs that are on the 76 only have 3 leafs but they DO NOT bend what so ever. I put a trailer load of hay on it and it just picked the front tires off the ground, speed bumps= wheelies which is pretty fun but I want some articulation.

so what are your guys thoughts on stock springs? I have a 350sbc and right now I am running 33X12.50 swampers. Will the stock springs be flexible enough to hardcore wheel for a year? I will be doing a SOA this next spring and probably change them again.

yup, stock springs with a spring over and you are set, will take the punishment

no need to change them again stocks are soft and smooth riding

Hi All:

Sounds like your '76 has a set of the infamous Rancho "kidney buster" springs! :frown:

Yes, the stock '68 vintage leaf springs will flex much better than those 3 leaf packs. But, the stock springs will not have enough lift to clear those 33 X 12.5 inch tires.

So, save the '68 springs for using next year with the SOA swap.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------
I have a set of stock springs off from a donor fj40, its a 68, mines a 76. the springs that are on the 76 only have 3 leafs but they DO NOT bend what so ever. I put a trailer load of hay on it and it just picked the front tires off the ground, speed bumps= wheelies which is pretty fun but I want some articulation.

so what are your guys thoughts on stock springs? I have a 350sbc and right now I am running 33X12.50 swampers. Will the stock springs be flexible enough to hardcore wheel for a year? I will be doing a SOA this next spring and probably change them again.

I have 5 inch shackles and I am having the rear stock springs re-arched for another 1 1/2 inches. that should level it out and give me a little extra room on the tires. these 3 leaf springs have the same arch as stock and right now I have about 2 inches at the tightest spot. 3 1/2 in. should be enough for now I hope.

I have 5 inch shackles and I am having the rear stock springs re-arched for another 1 1/2 inches. that should level it out and give me a little extra room on the tires. these 3 leaf springs have the same arch as stock and right now I have about 2 inches at the tightest spot. 3 1/2 in. should be enough for now I hope.

Ooh ouch. You'll not be happy with that ride

"Ooh ouch. You'll not be happy with that ride"

Why not? What did I do wrong, re-arch, or shackles?

Re arched springs will be stiffer due to the bigger arc. The longer shackles will rotate the pinions up, and will negatively affect caster on the front. Won't be a huge effect but its something to.keep in mind. Driveline angle will also be effected.

Sent from Cygnus X1 on the ship Rocinante

Rearched springs put them back where they were originally. They may be a bit stiffer, but not stiffer than they were originally. The rearch will not last forever, but it will get you by for a few years at least.

How would one go about getting springs rearched? Im not sure what I have. Got 2-73s and 1-70. One of the 73s has 2 more leaves and longer shackles. The other 2 are identical. It's been sitting in PA for the last 10yrs due to not passing an inspection. The springs have no arch at all; straight across. The other have an arch. This thing rides like a washboard. How and where can I get them rearched?

image-2589585655.jpg

These shackles are about 2" longer than the other 2

image-1858712231.jpg
image-2589585655.jpg
image-1858712231.jpg

Hi All:

GA FJ40Jeff, not trying to be a smart*ss, but from your pic it seems that the entire rear suspension is one big rusted mass! :eek:

One wonders whether the spring leaves move independent of the other leaves in the pack?

Do the shackles actually pivot?

Are the spring and shackle bushings frozen in place? (most likely!) :frown:

Do the shocks have any resistance left in them?

This whole rear suspension needs to be re-placed.

Good luck!

Alan

Back to my topic........., the re arch will make it stiffer but the larger tires should counter that some. The caster and pinion angles arent a real big change. And remember it CANT be any stiffer than those 3 leaf packs that have been on it for 20+ yrs

GAFJ40JEFF...... wow you got a lot if work ahead of you. I have a ton of rust free parts I'll cut ya deal on. As far as who can re arch the springs most metal fabrication shops have the press to do this. And it is cheaper than buying NEW springs however I would look around and see how low you can find a set of used ones for before putting any money out.

And the un even shackles were probably the previous owners way of making its stance more level. They typically look like the rear sets lower than the front. A lot of people did this back in the day.

So, for a stock 79 FJ40, what is the "arch?" How long are new springs and what is the distance between two lines top and bottom? I'm thinking of re-arching and need the numbers for the shop.

I've never seen those numbers posted anywhere. They should be able to puzzle it out based on the 2" extra long shackles. You can also take some frame measurements on a level surface to know where it needs to sit.

I dont know the numbers, the guy here is just going to trace it and start arching. like said above it will eventually return to where it is over the years. I think the most important part is that they all match each other. The guy here said he can add about 2-3 inch to ride height and still reach the shackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom