Springs again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front axle is about an inch from the bump stops, my rear is about 3 inches. While I have them off to replace the bushings, I was thinking of swapping ends. I read the FAQ about switching front to rear and rear to front but have a question. Would it make sense to add-a-leaf to the flattened fronts when I put them on the rear? Will the lighter rear 6-leaf springs just sag under the weight of the 2f engine? I've read that an add-a-leaf on the front hurts steering, that's why I'm thinking of this path, is that other experience?
I want to stay as stock as possible, TPI4x4 no longer has the zero lift springs and Bob says he's not getting more.

Hi All:

I thing you might be confused, swapping springs ends usually means rotating the existing spring packs 180*.

No, swapping rear spring packs under the front is not a good idea. The front springs are a "constant load" type designed to always have the weight of the 2F above. The rear springs are a variable rate type, designed for varying load amounts.

Adding an add-a-leaf to the front spring packs should not affect steering in anyway. Do a search for "Rancho add-a-leafs" - there is a model that works well with stock 40 Series springs.

Good luck!

Alan

In the FAQ it says that switching front to rear is OK and in fact a good idea and that the add-a-leaf lessens the ride quality.

I guess I really need new fronts that are stock height but WHERE CAN I GET THEM? Are you listening spring makers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom