springbar tents (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We looked at these and almost pulled the trigger prior to restoring my dads old canvas tent from when they lived in Australia. I actually got to see a Kodiak our last camp trip, great looking tent and can see that it is well worth the money (Kodiak or Springbar) but love the vintage look of ours. ALWAYS get comments on it. Should this one ever not be useable then Kodiak/Springbar it is.

I had never heard of Springbar until a few days ago when I was looking for what is the best tent of 2019. My search brought me to Modernsurvivaltips.com/What-is-the-best-tent-of-2019. Now I can't stop looking at them, and I really want one. One thing this forum made me realize is that these things are heavy. I know this thread is old, but I would be interested to hear how you still like your tent. I am pretty sure this is going to be my next purchase. I can't find too many negative reviews of them. Most of the people who review them seem to like them, and it looks like they are a good investment as they will last a long time if taken care of. I can't even count how many tents I have gone through in my life.

I have a Kodachrome 10x10 with the extra windows. I haven’t needed to yet, but plan to use a heater buddy with mine. I’ll take some cement board to put it on to protect the floor.

Anyone DISLIKE their Springbar or Kodiak and go back to a nylon ground tent? Just purchased a REI Kingdom 8 after my last nylon cabin tent ripped. Considering returning it and going with a Springbar or Kodiak 10X14.

I have been looking at Springbar tents as well. Has anyone used a cot in them? How was it for room?

I had the oversize Slumberjack cot in my 10x10 Springbar. Fit very nicely. Had room for my chair too. It was just me in the tent though.

Just bought a Kodiak last night... the Flexbar type (Spring bar copy).

My main concern is that it is not a free standing tent. I often camp in soft sand or hard/rocky soil. I think in sand I'll be able to use some corkscrew style stakes. But in rocky areas not sure what to do there. I generally "stake" my old tents with smooth rocks and put them at all corners (inside). Would that work with these non free standing tents?

Springbar/Kodiak tents get their stability and strength from all those stakes around the tent. When I owned mine, I used I believe 16-18" stakes in sand. Your idea of corkscrew should work, but you'll need to use more than the 4 corners. In rocky terrain, I loved my SnowPeak stakes. Virtually indestructible! Not cheap but worth it IMHO. Good luck!

Springbar/Kodiak tents get their stability and strength from all those stakes around the tent. When I owned mine, I used I believe 16-18" stakes in sand. Your idea of corkscrew should work, but you'll need to use more than the 4 corners. In rocky terrain, I loved my SnowPeak stakes. Virtually indestructible! Not cheap but worth it IMHO. Good luck!

Great, thanks for that. Those stakes look like they'd work in the rocky stuff!

Great, thanks for that. Those stakes look like they'd work in the rocky stuff!
I have the Kodiak. I have seen people use lag screws with a cordless drill for rocky areas, which looks like it works great. The tent is the best I've ever had.

Perfect!!

I have 14" lag bolts for my tent that I use in rocky soil with my impact drill. I am really considering a Kodiak tent in my future.

I have 14" lag bolts for my tent that I use in rocky soil with my impact drill. I am really considering a Kodiak tent in my future.

I picked up a 10x14 Whiteduck spring bar tent - love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom