Spring Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
After a close inspection of all the accident damage to "El Tractor" I was looking at the front spring and since the rest of the springs are fine, I'm thinking to remove the spring, take it to a repair shop and have those two leaves removed and replaced. Why? The other three springs are fine, are part of a lifted kit and it will be cheaper to replace two leaves than to get a new kit.
100_3477-resized.jpg

Will you ever get it to match the other side? Maybe you should at least get the same thing done to both spring packs on that axle. You may be able to get it "close enough" but it may be a crap shoot too.

Will you ever get it to match the other side? Maybe you should at least get the same thing done to both spring packs on that axle. You may be able to get it "close enough" but it may be a **** shoot too.

I will probably follow your advice.:hmm:

Howdy! I did just the opposite on my 72 FJ40 many years ago. The two long leafs were the only ones not damaged. I took both front spring packs into an industrial spring shop. They replaced the shorter leafs on both packs so they would be the same ride. Worked out fine for me. John

Now see, that touches on (kinda) my concern for this course of action...These springs (this spring) needs the leaf with the full loop for the bushings...(and theoretically a military wrap) it seems like those two leafs are the most important and the most expensive to fab...I would like to hear what a spring guy will quote for this job and how that stacks up against a new set

Now see, that touches on (kinda) my concern for this course of action...These springs (this spring) needs the leaf with the full loop for the bushings...(and theoretically a military wrap) it seems like those two leafs are the most important and the most expensive to fab...I would like to hear what a spring guy will quote for this job and how that stacks up against a new set

I'm out of the US mainland, and most the time the cost of these is less. As soon as I get a quote, I'll post it. If the cost is too high, then I'll go for the new kit.

Any competent spring guy should be able to fab up new springs with a military wrap..

Any competent spring guy should be able to fab up new springs with a military wrap..

x2

We have a spring shop here that could do that in an hour or two. I say it's worth a try. Plus, visiting spring shops is cool-it's like Vulcan's Forge.

Home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom