Spring pin ?` (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I started installing my lift, got the rear suspension out in 1.5 hours. I have a quick question-The two smallish bolts that hold on the pin opposite end of the leaf spring from the shackle are lookin pretty old, is it a good idea to replace them with standard Ace Hardware bolts? Or does it matter since those bolts don't really do much other than hold the pin in place so it can be tightened? :dunno: Thanks.

your talking about the two short metric bolts that keep the solid-mount spring hanger pin in place....I think...8 bolts total on the truck for the 4 solid-pins.

IMO, these are not critical....local hardware stuff will suffice. In fact, I know at least two of my mounts have only one of the two installed, the other either "sheared" off by rocks or snapped during a previous attempt at removal.

They keep the spring pin aligned in its bracket, and keep it from spinning as you tighten the pin nut. After that, they really don't do much. You could probably just stick a screwdriver through the hole as you tighten the nut, then yank it and go on to the next pin and leave the empty hole. About the only thing you would have to worry about is if your pin nut worked itself off and the pin fell out somehow. But that could happen at the other end, and there are no screws there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom