Spring Pin Removal - Where to cut ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
I've read a lot of posts about cutting the spring pins to get them out...

Friggin' things are way hard, killed two sawzall blades alredy...

Is this where I should be cutting to remove the springs ??

And what do you use to cut it if you don't have a torch or Plasma?

:confused:
spring0001.jpg

I've read a lot of posts about cutting the spring pins to get them out...
Is this where I should be cutting to remove the springs ??
No, it won't really help to cut there, because that is your handle for pulling & prying on the pin. Try heating the pin & bushing w/ a bernzomatic for 10 minutes. Light the bush on fire if possible. At some point the pin will be hot enough to slide right out of the bush. Also, try grabbing the head of the pin w/ a large channellock and twisting it. Twisting 360 degrees and pulling is more effective than just pulling.

Now, if you're discarding springs & pins, just cut the pins (& possibly springs a little) just inside the hanger, so the spring can just fall straight down out. Use an .041 cutoff disc in a 4.5" grinder, if the torch isn't available.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim...

And your sig line gave me a belly laugh!

S.

Like Jim said a torch but MAP GAS is much better rather than propane.

I was pulling mine and ran out of gas...well anyway i had a pitman arm remover laying around and surprising it works quite well if you have the pin out a inch or so:)

Once again, Jim's da Man!

Benz-o-matic (mapp gas) on the Pin/housing/bushing 'till it was dripping rubber flamlettes, then a ginormous channel lock to twist and pull and a few wacks on the threaded end with a brass drift and voila! I see hole!

Mmmmm.... Now what the best OME to buy... ?

Thanks!

Try spinning with a pipe wrench while prying/pulling it out. You have 3 hands, right?

Once again, Jim's da Man!

Benz-o-matic (mapp gas) on the Pin/housing/bushing 'till it was dripping rubber flamlettes, then a ginormous channel lock to twist and pull and a few wacks on the threaded end with a brass drift and voila! I see hole!

Mmmmm.... Now what the best OME to buy... ?

Thanks!
:Dheavy's

X3 heavies all the way!

I guess heavies it is then :D

I cut mine with a circular saw. It had better ability to get in there than my grinder did. I reused the large end of the pin by welding the appropriately sized grade 8 bolt shaft to it. I drilled the other end of the bracket out to the same size as the bolt shaft and used nylock nuts. It was tons cheaper than buying all new pins, plus, being grade 8 hardware, I can beat them without mercy to remove them and they don't mushroom out and become unuseable. Although I do get some sick satisfaction out of watching some offending thing go up in flames...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom