Spring Pin hanger fix.. Suggestions needed 2- pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
76 fj40
Large side is ok.. no wear, we have all new pins and retainerbolts from CruiserOutfitters
both driver and passenger side worn similar as you can see in pics
I cant see replacing the whole mount so weld up, redrill, weld steel heavy washer? ............sorry pics are so large
20201228_091806.jpg
20201228_0917504.jpg

What way would you go about a good fix on this?

Last edited:
Your thought will work and is prob best...however, several years ago, I found mine in the same condition as yours, got the proper sized bolt, tightened it down and it’s been all good. Prob 25k+ miles.

Buy a course round file, slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole. Remove surface impurities. Tack weld a plate (for heat absorption) on the surface, then weld filler material (lap joint weld) to the hole. Grind off the tack welded plate, and simply rough- shape the hole with a file.

I did something similar on a wallowed-out '64 door handle hole, without the plate, using SMAW. It worked, to restore the hole, but it still has some deficiency in the material.

Quick and easy would be to see if you can weld a washer the same size of the threads to the outside of the bracket for the wallowed hole. It wont leave a lot of threads left though. If I recall the bolt is like a shoulder bolt and only tightens so far and it may pinch the bushings.
Or replace the whole brackets.

Anyone else chime in this?

cut at the bend and replace piece
weld on washer
open it up bigger and install a bushing
remove rivets and replace entire unit
leave it as is

what other choices do you want?

This is me working on sheet metal with Fourney 5/64" 6013 electrode. I'm using two 35amp-hour Duracell AGM batteries, and DieHard jumper cables.

GEDC2221.JPG

The handle got wallowed-out. I also added a made-in-Taiwan interior handle, because the '64 doors were missing the correct part, so it got kinda-updated to the later style.

GEDC2222.JPG

Sure, I could have used the brand new part that I got the handle from, but you can't trust what doesn't have rust.

GEDC2223.JPG

Tools are essential. Do you have a MIG welder?

GEDC2224.JPG

Now, if it was me, I'd call Toyota's Service Center. I'd drop a few names; ask if it is covered under warranty; and tell them that I wasn't expecting it to wear out so bad, so quickly. They'd send someone in a uniform over to my house, and perform the work in the driveway. It would be complete faster then they finish an oil change on one of those new Tacomas that requires that you drop the skid plate, and replace the filter element. Then I'd inquire about it, and they say, "No problem, free of charge." And, I would thank them again for their services.

Now, if it was me, I'd call Toyota's Service Center. I'd drop a few names; ask if it is covered under warranty; and tell them that I wasn't expecting it to wear out so bad, so quickly. They'd send someone in a uniform over to my house, and perform the work in the driveway. It would be complete faster then they finish an oil change on one of those new Tacomas that requires that you drop the skid plate, and replace the filter element. Then I'd inquire about it, and they say, "No problem, free of charge." And, I would thank them again for their services.
they keep calling me about my vehicles extended warranty.

So what do you think caused this in the first place? Was the pin retainer but lose? Where the spring bushings worn? Springs my aligned?

Curious minds need to know!

Loose pin retainer is most likely...although that side is still in good shape and not bent. Ill take a look at the old spring pin end for wear.

I pulled into a Toyota dealer 20 plus years ago to have them check some play on my water pump once on the 40. I think the only person there that even knew what I was driving was the parts guy. One salesman came out and was dumbfounded to see a "Jeep" with Toyota on the grill. Oh and they wanted to charge for checking the water pump :rolleyes:.

We should call Toyota about the rust penetration warranty, I think there is something in the original glove box lit, I'm sure that is still legit.

I love the extended warranty calls all the time, what kind of scam is that exactly. I stayed on the line once, asked the gal if she knew what I drove, she said no, I said a 1996 T100 with 276000 miles, want to insure that, she hung up.

I kind of like the Toyota folks. I go wheeling with a former parts department guy. The service department installed a few pieces of glass on this truck - the invoice says that it was on a '75 RAV4. Too bad car manufactures can't do more, but, I've had better experiences there, than my usual mechanics. Going to the regular shop is sketchy, and they treat me like I'm always trying to get away with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom