Spring over? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wanting to do a soa, sr on my 79' fj40 with factory power steering. I have a new set of ome springs (not dakar) that I would be using (taking out a leaf more than likely). Seeing that this is my dd, I would prefer a good set-up and would like to keep my ps. Is this possible doing a spring over? Would high steer from somewhere like Lukes be my best option and allow me to keep my factory ps? Anyone out there have a similar set-up or have any recommendations? I plan on doing the cut and turn and am wondering if I should flip the rear springs as well to get a little more length.

Go to the technical links above. The topic has a dozen write ups.

most covered topic in the known world. use the search to get you all of your answers.

4x4 labs hysteer you can keep your ps to w/ a spring over.

you want to do a soa,sr and spring flip ... i say stick to soa and then if you want to later on down the road flip your springs.

kchargis said:
I was wanting to do a soa, sr on my 79' fj40 with factory power steering. I have a new set of ome springs (not dakar) that I would be using (taking out a leaf more than likely). Seeing that this is my dd, I would prefer a good set-up and would like to keep my ps. Is this possible doing a spring over? Would high steer from somewhere like Lukes be my best option and allow me to keep my factory ps? Anyone out there have a similar set-up or have any recommendations? I plan on doing the cut and turn and am wondering if I should flip the rear springs as well to get a little more length.

What size tires are you looking at running with your spring over?

Hit up CruisinGA, and ask him how much he likes stock ps and so....

In the event that you go with 4x4Labs, you will need to remove your pitman arm on the bellcrank out front and have that hole reamed to fit the one-ton steering pieces that Luke uses....just fyi.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hey Steve , I had a machinist buddy of mine tell me that reaming a stock cruiser pitman arm to one ton chevy tre would not leave enough material and would consequently be weaker, unsafe he said. Have you seen this done ?

ditch the push pull crap if your going soa. upgrade to saginaw and 4x4labs and youll be happy

I ran factory power steering for years on my spring over with 36x14.50's. I had a cast double steering arm. It worked fine for street and ok for trails. I bent a lot of tie rods and trashed several center arms.

I've since gone to Scout PS and 4x4 Labs steering. Much better.

too tall said:
Hey Steve , I had a machinist buddy of mine tell me that reaming a stock cruiser pitman arm to one ton chevy tre would not leave enough material and would consequently be weaker, unsafe he said. Have you seen this done ?

I will not do it for people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom