Spring Over Vs. Spring Under (1 Viewer)

SPRING OVER VS. SPRING UNDER

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a lot of research I decided to post this in Cruiser Tech. I have over used the search tool and read every suspension article in the tech links section. I think that there is a lot that one can learn by observing the way that others approach things. On to it then...... Spring over VS. Spring Under. Right now I am sitting on the fence on which way to go with the suspension of my '79 40. And I am looking for feedback specifically from 40 owners. I use to think that an SOA rig was only for the trail only, but seeing plenty of SOA daily drives here in Salt Lake I am convinced that an SOA can be done on a 40 and used as a daily driver as well. The bottom line is to see what the masses think. Please Vote for your preferred (or actual) suspension setup. It would also be cool to see descriptions your suspension setups, intended vehicle use, location, etc. Heck, while your at it post some pics of those rigs flexed to the max. Trail pics would be the best! Not that RTI crap. Happy Posting! ;p

Last edited:
I've done many combo's.....SUA with stockers, rearched, rearched with addaleaf, SUA 4" lift, SUA lift with reversal, SOA on stockers, SOA on FJ55 rears, and now SOA front and 4-link elliptical rear....

IMO, it's a truck, and my road manners never suffered...but it's primarily trail. FJ40's never were much for accident avoidance maneuvers....

people are sick of pics of mine...lol

Oh, come on Woody! I would love to see more pics of your 40!!!! If you don't want to post them email em to me.

I have done both the 4" sua lift and now i'm on the soa with fj55 rears in the rear. I noticed a huge handeling difference and ride when I converted to SOA. My rig is my daily driver so it sees a lot of highway miles. Another thing to think about is the hard top. With the hard top in SOA things get sideways around corners with the hard top but with a soft top you hardly notice anything and the side to side movement is greatly reduced.

Travis

When it's up the Wasatch Cruisers website is Wasatchcruisers.org

It's just down at the moment.

-Sean

sway bar will make a lot of that side lean go away. With and without the top on.

same as woody's post i've done or tried different tings ,just longer shackles ,rearched springs ,add-a-leafs ,and spring-over
spring-over .is my favourite setup .nice ride quality with stock springs .not to tall of a lift .all in all makes for a nice riding rig . mine also was a daily driver . in the process of doing another SOA right now for my wife. i found the hardest thing to deal with was the steering . (cut and turn is easy ),but now with 4x4 labs .steering arms .the steering is not much of an issue .

Jake

I'd think a SOA would ride better on the street then any lift spring but I can't really say because I never ran a 4' lift. I went straight to SOA.
I've daily driven mine.

I voted for SOA, that's what I did to my 40 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Mostly depends on your tool and shop resources IMO. If you can weld and cut and drill thru the frame, go SOA and save some $$$. Swap the stock springs on both ends and the extra wheelbase gained will also help the highway manners but somewhat lessen the turning radius on tight trails.

The ride with my stock springs is really soft and it seems pretty stable at speed, even with my new 35's. My top speed currently tops out around 55 so up to that speed, I think SOA is pretty good. No hard top but plenty heavy so far so good :knocking on wood:

I have been through 3 differant setups over the years.

I am currently SOA with Flipped Front Springs and redriled perches (+4.5) and FJ-55 rears.

I use the Stiff valved Bilsteins and the handling is fine for the street (I will admit it does not see much street use).

You are welcome to check it out sometime.

Hell, you could come out to Moab and see why it is completely worth it.

Dan

Hey thanks man. I probably will stop by. I will let you know.

I'm currently spring under with 2 1/2" lift springs,extended shackles and front shackle reversal. Not because I thought it was the best way to go, but it was the cheapest lift at the time as I got a good deal on used lift springs. I seriously considered spring over in the rear when I had the lift springs put on. It would have been fairly cheap and easy. It's the front that gets more complicated.
I think the cruiser rides well and I've been very content with it the way it is now. I don't have a picture of my cruiser flexing, probably because it doesn't, but I'll post this one.

Edit:
I found a picture that better represents the SUA flex.

Last edited:
I have a 4" SUA lift.

I have it because at the time the resources to spring over were not available to me, and I needed to get something under the truck soon.

Street ride is excelent, daily drove it for 1.5 years after lift install. Flexs well wnough, never been enough of any issue on any of the moderate trails at Tellico.

Spring over is in the works, and will happen. Just a matter of getting other things in order first. (gearing with SM420, brakes, etc).

Spring under for now 8' garage door (master planned cookie cutter)...

...we will be building in two years or so and the garage door will be a 10' door. :D with four bays :flipoff2: (well that is the plan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom