spring over question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently boutht a 71 fj40 (finnaly) and am fixing a couple of things before i take her on the maiden journey. It's basicly stock except for the spring over and front SR. The big problem is the PO did't rotate the front axle. I need to know how much to rotate the front end and where to get the steering arms so that the tie rod don't touch the leaf springs, or if i try to make some, how much should i angle them?

thanks for any help

You mean Cut and turn? Those angles are vehicle specific. Set your caster at 4-5 deg and point your pinion at your t-case. Normal is about 15 degrees total (5 caster and 5 up)

nice thread for steering hawk, oh i just bought my 4x4 labs friday, im stoked.

thanks for info. i understand alot better know. i won't be able to start it rite away, just trying to get prepred so i don't screw it up. have to finish the brakes first , among other things. hopefully i can contribute some help down the road.

thanks again

another thing i remembered that you guys might have a opinion on is the tire size. it has 36x12.5 swampers and about 6.5 inch shackles on it. i'm thinking about selling the swampers and getting something that will last longer and smaller. i'm thinking 33's or 35's. the 33's would be cheaper, but they might look funny with the spring over and the long shackels. oh ya it has RS on the front.

any thoughts. i'm just curious since you guys have propably been through this kind of stuff and i cant aford to do this very many times.

i need to get a new battery for my camera and then i'll post some pics.

well if thats the case maybeeeeee i should just put the axles bake on top and leave the long shackles.
what is the advantage of a SO?

i found a pic i allready had. don't know if it will work.
P3140021.JPG

not yet, but its on the list. need to do some reserch on my choices.

im in the same shoe as you. need to find me a saginaw box

the parts should pretty easy to get for me, lots of friends with lots of rigs lying around. i need to cut and turn the front end two. need to get all my ducks in a row before i get started.

would like to get the 4x4 labs steering and do it all at once, butt i'll have to wait a little while for that.

nice rig... strangely, I like the colored pinstriping/graphics....

you have a 2" shackle reversal on top of a spring over = 7" of lift or so....uugh....

I'd seriously consider re-working the front reversal with spring hangers from Proffits and re-doing the front shackle hanger thru the frame...drop that front end a couple inches and allow you to lower the rear shackle length at the same time. 35's would look good then....

course, I squeeze 39.5's on my SOA....little sawzall work...but yers appears too clean to hack up...

thanks

are you talking about the just the hangers for rear of the springs from proffits and redoing the front myself, or getting the hole kit?

i like your advice, i think its to hi myself. if you could tell me a little more or some pics that would be great.

thanks alot.

http://proffittscruisers.com/parts/photo16.html

wish I'd done those instead of making my own.....

those are the hangers for the front of the springs, replacing the 2" drop aftermarket jobbies you have installed now....combine that with putting the shackle bushings into a thru-frame sleeve, and you net a 2" drop in front.

that dos't sound so bad.

i'll have to get or make longer shackles so that i can put the top of it through the frame and still have enough length for it to move back and forth, because the ones that are on it know are pretty short.

if that sound right, then how long should i make the shackles?

sorry to keep dumping all these quistions, butt i just want to make sure. either way thanks alot for all the help.

ortayga said:
if that sound right, then how long should i make the shackles?

put the front hanger on....install the springs....put a 1x6 board between the free spring eye and the frame.....get the weight of the rig on them...jump on it a few times so they settle a weee bit...lol

keep the hole thru the frame as low as you can for the sleeve....drill so you just clear the horizontal portion of the frame rail with the hole saw....it does take a little "luck" to get things in there....

in an "ideal" world, your engine is removed when you actually weld in the two sleeves, so you can align them and be more-sure that they aren't off kilter....off kilter = eating bushings every year or so.... (mine does).

Shackles are nothing more than flat steel....cheap and easy to make....IIRC, I have 4-5 experimental sets around, my spring pack now clears the frame by less than 1/4"...and it'll just touch when it articulates.....IMO, perfect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom