Spring Over Lift!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After hours and hours of reading I am still not getting anywhere. I am looking to spring over my 62' FJ40. Has anybody done this with out problems? I have not found problems but was wondering what you think of the lift and wheel travel? Any and all info/comments would be helpful.

Later Fella's

Welcome.

Arguably the most asked question here, and you cannot find any of this information on it?

Are you going to leave the stock ball and claw front axle in there?

There will be many other issues you need to address other than the junk front axle....

The steering should be upgraded, not only to a hysteer set up, but power assist as should your braking system be completly updated to disc brakes, preferably, all the way around.

Wheel travel will be great.

Spring over's done properly work great.

What else are you looking for???

There is a tremendous amount of info on this bouncing around. For anyone to answer all of the questions on all of the interrelated issues for someone coming at it with minimal background on the subject... It would be a small book. Even without conflicting opinions. And even without all of the "Not as informed as they think" input that always shows up in an internet forum discussion. ;)

Search this site. Searh the POR site. Search the archives of the LCML. Lots of other places too.

Mark...

I agree soa is the way to go ,especially if you can do all wok yourself , good luck and don't be afraid of the challange.

I figured doing a SOA my self would run me between 2 to $3000. Brakes, tires, wheels, steering (power, arms). Brake lines. Shocks. U bolts. Axle rebuild kit. And other costs.

Thanks for all of the help fellas!!

I want to change the axles out from the OE ones. Any suggestions on new ones? I dont want to cut and weld if I can help it.

What are knuckle reversals? and Shock Hoops?

Once again thanks for all of the help!

If you can't (or know someone who can) weld you have no busines doing a spring over!

One of the things that I always mentioned is that doing a spring over is expensive. You will need bigger tires (because it will look gay with 31"), new shocks, cut and turn, then you'll probably want power steering to handle the bigger wheels. Also because of the bigger wheel you'll want more power/torque so you either go with changing gears on the axle, new tranny, etc.

And the list keeps going. I am not saying is bad, it is well worth it but just know that you are in for a long job.

Good Luck.

- Rico.

62 Dust Collector said:
Thanks for all of the help fellas!!

I want to change the axles out from the OE ones. Any suggestions on new ones? I dont want to cut and weld if I can help it.

What are knuckle reversals? and Shock Hoops?

Once again thanks for all of the help!

Doesn't a 62 have a centered rear? single speed transfer case?

Ideally you should sell the 62 to a collector, and buy a later model.

You will need to do a shackle (not knuckle) reversal.

You will need to have someone cut and turn your front axle, so that the steering geometry is correct

Ideally, you should find a 79 cruiser axle (front) and most any rear.

Power steering will require frame reenforcements.

What, exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Why don't you start out with a plan of what you want to do with the vehicle in terms of future use and such and enlighten us before asking random questions.

SOA is a MAJOR undertaking! You need to be proficient at welding, patient with setup and mockup of components and figure on spending at least twice your $$$$ budget and 5X the amount of time you think it will take. Then you might come in under estimate by a couple hundred bucks. Every mod leads to another and you're starting off way behind the curve with the '62 to begin with. Depending on the condition of the '62, you might be better off selling and buying an already modified later year 40.

If the search function doesn't work - do what I did - read every page in this section of tech, there are only a couple years worth and it should only take a night or two.

Read and report back - everything you need to know is on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom