Spring outdoor activity / uber light wheeling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made the suggestion for some uber light wheeling/ picnicking / socializing on the e-mail list, and there was some interest expressed, so I’m going to follow through and try to organize something.**And I use the term ‘organize’ loosely.

The idea is go somewhere relatively close to Tulsa, where we can do some light 4x4 exploring, have a picnic lunch/ dinner, let our spawn run around and spend some time bs’ing and getting to know each other. No overnight, so no camping needed. Keep it to ½ to a full day.**Nothing so difficult that a stock 4x4 Toyota couldn’t do it and still go to work on Monday.**I only have two idea’s for places, but if someone else has an option speak up.**Food wise, I think it is best that we keep it informal and self-sufficient.**So, pack your own cooler with your own drinks and sandwiches.**If you have a special cookie recipe you want to share with everyone one else, or you just bought a watermelon you want to get rid of, bring it to share, but otherwise, for this first time, let’s assume if you want to eat it, bring it yourself.*This is meant to be a quick and easy thing, so I really have no interest in hauling a grill out there to make burgers and dogs. Let’s leave that to the October Disney Picnic.

Option One –

Whitewater Off-Road Park – Below Keystone Dam*

www.ohranger.com/keystone-lake/poi/whitewater

It’s mostly a sandy area below the dam, but there are a few rocky areas and a few mud holes. If this is where we go I will be bringing my 6 year old boy, and my 4 year old girl (unless it is after April 14th, then it will be 7 and 4). I throw in some shovels and buckets for them and they like to build Sand Castles and dig for buried treasure. My son will be more than happy to explain the proper techniques to any child from age 0-80.

This area can be done on a Saturday or Sunday, and could be done as a morning or afternoon deal since it is so close.**So, say 10am-2pm, or 2-6pm.**If people are worried about how to get to the park (it’s pretty easy, go across bridge, first left, down the hill to a T and then left)**we could meet at the Sand Springs K-mart Parking lot.**Or as an alternative, if someone knows of a IHOP or local B-fast place, we could meet for Breakfast at 8:30, then go play in the sand.**So, for Keystone let’s say we could do A) Breakfast, B) Picnic Lunch, C) Picnic dinner.

Option Two –

Tall Grass Prarie Preserve

www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.7647

This location is north of Pawhuska.**Figure about an hour and a half from downtown Tulsa.**There is a small nature center there where the kids can actually touch the displays.**My kids favorite last time was the animal scat display (poop for those not in on the terminology).**There are some hiking trails, and a picnic area. The buffalo roam free, and can be as little as a few feet away from your truck, and you may have to wait for them to cross.**Last time we were there we say quite a few deer, and one buck that had an impressive rack for a Wyoming deer, let alone a little Okie one. It’s all gravel public roads so no real wheeling involved, but it’s still a fun area to explore.**There are some interesting oil field roads north of the preserve. Some of it gets into two track stuff.**I got lost in there once trying to find a cross over to Hulah Lake and Bartlesville.**I wouldn’t want to lead a group off into that area though if I didn’t know where I was going, but if a couple guys wanted to go look for a route without children to set something up for a future date I would be game.

This is best attacked as a whole day deal.**Leave Tulsa area round 9, get to the nature center round 10:30, explore it till lunch time, have our BYOPB&J (Bring Your Own Peanut Butter & Jelly) picnic.**Hike a trail if all are game, and then finish the buffalo loop.**That gets us home late afternoon (4-5?).**We could all meet up at the park, but I’d rather we all meet up in Collinsville, or Skiatook.**Skiatook is probably best as people who will be coming up HWY 75 won’t have to backtrack to the east.**Two options there too, either all meet at 9:30 at TSC parking lot, or at 8:45 at some restaurant for breakfast.*

I have Six FRS radios to keep everyone in contact if folks aren’t set up with CB’s in their rigs.**If everyone has CB’s I usually give the FRS radios to the kids in each vehicle so they can talk to each other.

Option 3 – You tell me!

Day Choice –

I don’t know if Saturday’s or Sundays are easier for everyone.**Probably the first weekend I could do it is March 2nd*or 3rd.**The two weekends I can’t do it are the 16th/17th*– because it’s the Big Meat Run and**Lone Star Land Cruiser Roundup and I’d rather go to one of those (most likely big meat), and April 13th*/14th.**Any other Saturday or Sunday between now and end of April should work.*

Gimmie your first second and third choice and I’ll try to pick something that is most accommodating as it can be.**Something like:

1st*Choice**Keystone Lunch Picnic March 2nd*Meet at Sand Springs K-Mart

2nd*Choice Keystone Breakfast March 10th*at Fred’s Café on 2nd*street

3rd*Choice Keystone Super Picnic April 6th

I’d also say just because we do one in March / April, doesn’t mean we can’t do the other in May / June, and if someone else wants to schedule something, please go right ahead

I'll hit both of these places this spring, but unless I have a date to do it as a group, it'll end up being one of those deals where I'll be up early on saturday and it'll be sunny out, and I'll say to the kids guess what we're doing today?

Thanks for spearheading this!

I'd prefer Keystone I think. I'm not sure my March/April schedule yet. I think the the first or last weekend of March I'm in the clear.

Thanks for taking the lead on this. I think Keystone sounds like a winner. When doesn't matter that much, as long as its warm enough to enjoy the out of doors. I'd probably vote for a picnic in early April.

Thanks for spearheading these events. Choice # 2 works for me.

Choice #1: I'm at work the weekend, #3 not sure. Thanks.

Thanks for spearheading these events. Choice # 2 works for me.

Choice #1: I'm at work the weekend, #3 not sure. Thanks.

Those were just samples, Pick a weekend, and a location, and if it's Keystone, do you wanna do B-fast, Lunch Picnic, or dinner Picnic? I know, I make stuff complicated some times

Sounds like fun.

I like Keystone (never been there) and would bring my stock 2004 4runner and 4 year old.

I'm in Fayetteville so further west is a no go for me for a day trip with a toddler. Also Sunday is a no go. And I can't do March 2nd (away on vacation that week).

#1 Keystone, lunch, a Saturday after March 2nd
#2 Keystone, breakfast, a Saturday after March 2nd

Keystone, Lunch 9 Mar works for me.

Not that I was there, but I think GCCs have done Byrd's in the past. I for one would be up for a weekend there this Spring.
http://www.byrdsadventurecenter.com/images/Byrds_Trail_Map.pdf

Definately far enough away to be a weekend deal not a day deal. 1.5hrs one way is about my limit for day trips, I can't pull the windshield time I could when I wore a younger man's clothes. Feel free to start a planing thread for it. The brochure/map is one of the best put together ones I've seen.

Byrd's looks interesting. I think I will be heading down to the Razorback Roundup near Hot Springs in a few months if anyone is interested. It will probably be a multi-day event. I'll start a thread when it gets closer.

tenative date

There was mention of April when the weather is nicer, but I think sooner is better, and then a repeat in April/May is fine with me if folks desire it. I mean it's not like it's a huge amount of planning compared to say the oct. picnic. So here's my proposal, don't hesitate to voice objections.

March 9th 10:00 am we meet in the asphault parking lot below the dam.

We can do introductions and then we can do a little loope of the area, see if ther is any areas anyone wants to play in.

I'lll guide us back along the river round 11:30 -noon. We can circle our wagons (or at least tailgates), and have our lunches and let the kiddos play. If you want to go play in the sand in your truck while the kids play, that's totally cool. It's not a big enough area that we're going to loose each other.

After that it's up to you guys. Play in the mud, play in the sand, see if you can get a little air under your tires on that sand hill - all cool with me (some things I might just watch with a smile on my face). I'll have some tow straps, and clevis's and will probably throw in a long board. Should be enough to unstick anyone unless hey get over exuberant.

Lunch - bring your own cooler; everyone is responsible for feeding and watering themselves. If you want to bring a treat to share that's cool too. I don't know if alcohol is allowed in the area, I'm guessing glass bottles aren't allowed. I probably don have to say it but will anyway, you're responsible for your own behavior when it comes to having a few beers or any other behavior. Sounds like my kids won't be the only ones there, act appropriately.

This will be a pilot run, we can decide what works and what doesn't and apply it to a repeat or a different location. I'm really looking forward to meeting some new faces and hopefully seeing some old ones.

I'll put a sticky up with the date, location ect. Later this week when I'm sitting at a real computer not my phone.

I put tenative date because I was diagnosed with blood clots in my left leg last wendsday. I physically could not do this today, and am banking on feeling better over the next couple of weeks. If I'm not up for it I'll make sure to give several days notice, and you guys can feel free to meet up without me. I plan on posting up something like this every couple of months until either no one shows up or it takes on a life of it's own and others say 'I want to do this, and that GCC crew is so cool, I want them to come with."

Oh, one more personal rule - I talk too much, and I know I talk too much so feel free to tell me to be quiet. If my kids aren't within earshot you can even tell me to shut up. I won't take it personally.

Shoot, probably can't do that weekend

Lets see, you're the 2nd or 30th

Merryweather Early April

Senor Aguas - after march 2nd

Bluee Egg March 9th

Andhop72 - Anytime

I ruled out the 2nd because I know my legs won't be ready yet, the 16th because of the big meat run. Guess I was kinda hoping to do it before the big meat run for the selfish reason of hoping to convince some others to go ;) . Plus, if ther is even a little momentum like to hit while it's hot, but sounds like maybe the 30th would work for more people? Blue Egg? I know if we wait for a weekend everyone is available it will never happen, so I'm aiming for most and trying not to diss anyone. Part of the idea of making it easy, is hopefully we can do it more frequent and maybe each person can only hit 50% of them. Missing 50% of 6 wheeling oportunities is better than missing 50% of one though! And I promise, if at least one other person actually shows up this time, I will schudle something for april/may

Ya man no worries, I don't expect it to fit everyone's schedule! I was just expressing my sadness.

Ya man no worries, I don't expect it to fit everyone's schedule! I was just expressing my sadness.

No biggie, I just went through the list and thought that the 30th might work better once I took some bias away. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to hold off a while anyway. I feel better a couple days, or parts of days then worse. Right now I have two concerns, I do too much too soon, blow a clot loose, it sticks in my lungs heart or brain I fall iver dead. Or before they get my levels where they want them I cut myself, I have no colagulants in my blood, I bleed out, fall over dead. Not to be overly dramtic or anything ;). I tend to push myself to do normal stuff again too soon and being cooped up for half this year so far, I'm eager to get out. So if delaying it a bit makes it easier for folks, improves the weather and has the side bennifit of me not falling over dead, that's probably a good thing.

Shoot, I just found out my son has soccer on Saturdays from 3/2 to 4/13. Sundays are no good either. :(

I wish I'd thought about that earlier.

The 30th is Easter weekend and I have a booked schedule. The Keystone on the 9th still works for me.

The 30th is Easter weekend and I have a booked schedule. The Keystone on the 9th still works for me.

Ok. Who can make the 9th and who can make the 30th?

If it's just blue egg and I on the 9th, I'll still go. Gotta start somewhere! And if Petrotk40 is the only one that can do the 30th I'll show up then too.

I probably can't do the 30th. I might be able to come out for a little while on the 9th though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom