Spring measurements and OME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was kicking around FJ55 factory measurements with other TLC's.
So far it looks like the factory front spring packs for the FJ55 and the FJ45 are pretty much the same.

FJ55 1071mm
FJ45 1070mm

60 series is close too for the rear when compared to the 45 series.

FJ55 1155mm
FJ60 1160mm (60/62 use the same suspension)
FJ45 1265mm

Im not sure on the measurements for the forward eye to pin. If some one has these it would be great. But I think they are as follows.

Front Springs:
FJ45 686mm
FJ55 686mm

Rear Springs:
FJ45 970mm
FJ55 970mm
FJ60 ?

So I think we would be able to use a combination of OME springs. Fronts from a 45 series and rears from a 60 series. Or go with the longer 45 series rear springs to give it a bit more comfort and flex.

So what do you guys think?

Hmmm... I have sets of 40 & 60 springs, and I have a pig... besides the goofy bushing dilema it might work. I will take a closer look at Monday...

one of my favorite things about pig springs is the pin is centered, i would mess with 60 packs cause i think the pins are centered, or darn close, 40/45 is sure not. and the bushing are different on all of'em as kurt mentioned.

but then again, OME will cost as much or more than alcan or some of the others so it doesnt make much sense to me unless you just want the length. and even then how soft and flexy do you want it if your keeping on the road?? i have 55 springs all around and my rig feels like a marshmallow already, coudnt imagine it gets much softer.

Still not in front of the work computer (went wheeling this morning ;)), but on the Alcan versus OME pricing... The new Dakars have drastically reduced the prices! And 40 & 60 products are in high supply... :D

Cant wait to see if this might work. I would think you could use the 60 springs with an 1.5" extended shackle?

afaik all the cruiser springs are different in spring eyes and such so none are a direct swap. i personnally like it soft and flexy, have to adjust driving habits for it, but its worth it in the end i think.

last time i checked ALCAN was $200 ea spring, so about $800 plus shipping for a custom set, i here they have done enough 55's that they gottem dialed in pretty good.

If you're going to bother with bastard springs into a 55, why not just put a full set of rear OME 60 springs using 60 perches into a 55? You'll have an easier time doing that than trying to redrill the spring packs to center your tires in a 55 wheelwell, and you won't have to mix and match bushings with center pins.

I have custom rear alcans. 500lbs over, 2.5" lift, 1" longer on the shackle end with longer shackles, and 10" of wheel travel at the bumpstop. $410. Love 'em.

Brian... Ive thought about it... I mean the 60 spring looks like it would fit with an extended shackle. I dont know where the pin is from eye to pin to eye... if its way different then whats on the 55.. if its going to offset the axle... but if it does maybe as long as it just lengthens the wheelbase some.. that would be nice.

btw... do i need to get bushings for the springs you have? Do you have a set of extended shackles I can buy from you?

Last edited:
Can't say about the center pin. The other thing you might want to consider before you extend the wheel base is the limited amount of room in the rear wheelwell of a 55. 36s were the upper limit for me, and I still had some interferance with the rear of the fenderwell.

You'll need to get bushings. Can't help you with extended shackles- Get some 3/8" flat stock from Wyo Steel and some new bolts from Fastenel and you'll be set.

40 and 45 front springs are the same.

MiniPigg said:
Was kicking around FJ55 factory measurements with other TLC's.
So far it looks like the factory front spring packs for the FJ55 and the FJ45 are pretty much the same.

So what do you guys think?

minipigg,
what did you decide on this problem, I am in similar way, wondering what will end up being best option.

kurt, what is the width of OME fj60 springs? would they fit in the hangers/ shackles of a 55? I see where you were considering this problem
If one was planning on just running 33s would one need 4 inches of sua lift, or less okay?

jm599 said:
kurt, what is the width of OME fj60 springs? would they fit in the hangers/ shackles of a 55? I see where you were considering this problem
If one was planning on just running 33s would one need 4 inches of sua lift, or less okay?

If you want to run 33s and your stock springs are not completely sagged out, run the 33s.

I ran 32s on stock springs for years before I went up 2.5".

Mind if I ask why you're hellbent on OME? I'm usually all for something different, but I love my Alcans, and would recommend them anyday.

Minipigg's "new springs:
minipigg.JPG

There shouldn't be an issue with them fitting in the hanger, but finding a bushing with the OME OD and FJ55 specific ID might be tricky (I think SOR has Poly ones?). You might have to do some slight trimming of the bushing flange (as OME does on their FJ40 bushings).

As for the SUA lift, I honestly don't have a whole lot of experience with FJ55 SUA lifts though I think Brian is on the mark with the Alcan stuff, by the time you get the Dakar to work the Alcan might be alot cheaper??? I sold my SOA FJ55 so I don't have one here now to measure up (though I may be getting a couple more soon ;))

"Mind if I ask why you're hellbent on OME? I'm usually all for something different, but I love my Alcans, and would recommend them anyday"

I just love my OME on my DD fj45. Hope to have similar ride on my project 55. My son has a SOA 55 that is a little squirrelly and soft. have not made any firm decisions. most miles will be on gravel forest service roads sometimes with deep snow. I thinking 33s.
The shoulders on our montana roads are steep... I've been to a ton of roll overs from tall vehicles. Maybe I could go soa if I put 60 axles under it and added a leaf for firmness. any ideas?

jm599 said:
I just love my OME on my DD fj45. Hope to have similar ride on my project 55. My son has a SOA 55 that is a little squirrelly and soft. have not made any firm decisions. most miles will be on gravel forest service roads sometimes with deep snow. I thinking 33s.
The shoulders on our montana roads are steep... I've been to a ton of roll overs from tall vehicles. Maybe I could go soa if I put 60 axles under it and added a leaf for firmness. any ideas?

If possible, I'd drive an Alcan equiped truck to see if I liked it. SOA is gonna net you a lot of lift, room for atleast 35s if not more. 33s and SOA will look silly, if nothing else.

If you're really set on OME, I'd just cut the hangers off the 55 and weld on some 60 hangers and run 60 springs. If I was going to go to the trouble of swapping spring hangers, I would mount 60 axles as well- that way I could justify moving the front spring hangers. - Great ride, better handling (due to width) and wider stance.

On the rear axle, you wouldn't necessarily have to remove the rear shackle hanger since the springs are only 1mm different in length, and you could just run a 55 bushing at the shackle hanger. If you were comfortable turning down some bushings, you could use a lathe to make your own from larger stock.

Where at in Montana?

in Libby, not that far from moscow
you have good ideas. I have been looking for a rusted out or rolled fj60 for about 800 to 1000 for axles, power steering etc. no luck yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom