Spring Green October 1969 production 1970 FJ40 rehab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought @ToyotaMatt ‘s ignition switch a couple months ago, recently finally connected it.
very happy.

EDF8F02A-BCEA-4744-A237-A74879C9D8AF.jpeg

FA8C2526-5C0C-4227-BE1A-5527EBB370CB.jpeg

3DAC57ED-491C-4D9B-8F85-D0630E5C7C39.jpeg

BF49233C-EA3A-4116-AB2A-2392FD3C3115.jpeg

6CCB64A0-88C3-49F6-B672-708D1130A820.jpeg

Hi Mike, how's your new project 40 coming along? I recently acquired a `69 and I`m going through it similarly.

Did you rewire the coil/starter yet? I`m interested in seeing how that is supposed to look. Also, where did you get the new junction block for the front lights?

Last edited:
Hey Martin!
Yea lots done
Need to start build thread in rising sun

you should too congrats on the new 40
I like you can’t live without one even though I tell myself I can everytime
Here’s a pic post electrical redo
Everything works now and is tidy and stock

Excellent! Can't wait to see more pics. I hope you're documenting your rear sill replacement. I'm going to be getting to that eventually. Right now just getting it running well and correcting some wiring.

The coil on the OP's engine has been upgraded to the 74-78 coil w/ ballast resistor on it, and has the updated starter with ballast bypass from the solenoid.
Good stuff.
Mike, can you show a pic of how you fixed and wired this up?

Jim, in my 69, if I purchase Matt's coil above with the external ballast resistor, what toyota starters have the ballast bypass?

I picked up a October 1969 production/ 1970 US market FJ40
it has a later 1F - Serial F 372729. Looks to be around a september of 1971 1f....

2. does anyone have a good picture of what the harness - starter - coil wiring should look like?
this is a hodge podge of things that were done potentially to marry this 1971 1f to this 1970 chassis I would guess...I have never seen this junction block thing on the coil like this. But then I've never owned a 1970 with a 1971 engine -- only older and newer fj40s/fj45

View attachment 2477607

Mike, on my 69, i`m installing the same coil and starter that you have. I believe my harness is the same as yours. BW, BY, W. I`m still waiting for parts to arrive but i`m going to wire it up when it i get it. I did a quick sketch of how I think it should be connected. In your pic above, I think the connections to the ballast resistor on the coil might not be correct.

@FJ40Jim does this look correct?

i-BjDdD76-M.jpg

Mike, on my 69, i`m installing the same coil and starter that you have. I believe my harness is the same as yours. BW, BY, W. I`m still waiting for parts to arrive but i`m going to wire it up when it i get it. I did a quick sketch of how I think it should be connected. In your pic above, I think the connections to the ballast resistor on the coil might not be correct.

@FJ40Jim does this look correct?

i-BjDdD76-M.jpg
Yes, that works.
It is slightly better to connect the bypass wire direct to the + coil terminal, rather than the ballast terminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom