Spring Compressors/What Do You Use To Get Your Extra Long Springs On Their Perches? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done suspension installs on lots of different cars over the years, and some area easier than others. I started my suspension mods on my 97 within the first year of ownership, putting on an OME 2.5" suspension to replace my saggy original suspension. I've just completed the upgrade to Icon/Slinky 70mm suspension and the hardest part of the whole process was compressing the springs.

I've replaced about 20 suspensions on VW/Audis, as I used to be in a VW/Audi club here in Denver and it was pretty quick and painless to go through this process, as long as you used spring compressors and had an air compressor to go with it. I have not been able to find a spring compressor for the long springs used for increasing the ride height on Cruisers. With VW/Audis, you always wanted to go lower. With offroad trucks, you want to go higher.
2021-01-12 14.21.08.jpg

I got through my install and used 2-3 big ratchet straps to get the springs compressed to where I could slide them into the perches, but just noticed one of them is rotated and I need to move it back. I tried yesterday, but don't have the ratchet straps I used before, so I figured now would be a good time to find a better solution, otherwise, I'll go out and buy more ratchet straps.

2021-01-13 12.31.30-2.jpg

I put the 6 ton jack all the way up. Unbolt the shocks, panhard, and the brake like mounted on the axle. Then I lower the axle until the rotors touch the driveway. That usually gives me enough room to slip on my 2.5” tapered coils that give me 4” of lift without using a spring compressor. The tallest one is 622mm if that helps give reference.

Right! I guess I could free the shock. Sometimes I just have to do things the hard way but this is what happens when you get the shocks 7 months before the springs. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Here you go.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom