Spring Break road trip 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started out Saturday morning by heading out Hwy 50. Stopped and fished along the Arkansas River for a while where Neil and I caught a several nice Browns plus he caught this nice Rainbow. The wind started kicking up so we headed on down through Pagosa Springs to Arboles and found a campsite on the shore of Navajo reservoir.
Neil Rainbow (ark).jpg

Navajo Camp.jpg

The next morning we headed out towards Valley of the Gods. On the way we went through Durango (almost 20 years since I was last there) then Cortez with a detour to 4 Corners. After the obligatory tourist photos and craft shopping we headed to Goose neck State Park. This overlook into the entrenched meanders of the San Juan River is in just about every Geology book, cool to actually see it in person.

Goose Neck.jpg
Neil Rainbow (ark).jpg
Navajo Camp.jpg
Goose Neck.jpg

Last edited:
more pics

We decided to head to Valley of the Gods as it was windy on the rim. We found a nice campsite off the main road.After a leisurely breakfast and some exploring we packed up camp. No sooner had I shut the trailer lid is when we got our first big gust of wind to stir up the sand/dust. Prior to that we had mostly blue skies and sun. In a matter of minutes it turned into a hazy, foggy looking dust storm. We continued driving through the Valley and saw some unfortunate people doing major battle with the wind and their tents with the tent flies flapping like flags in a gale.

Lady in bath tub.jpg

(Lady in the bath tub)

Dust storm.jpg
Dust storm coming

We headed north, not sure of our next stop but monitored the weather forecasts on the HAM. We stopped for gas in Bluff, UT and the visibility was down to about a mile. We decide to head towards the Paradox Basin. On the way we pulled of onto some BLM land looking for a wind break where we could eat. We quickly found another small pull off into a small ravine and while we were able to get away from the bad winds there was still a good breeze. The dust wasn't as bad as it had been in Bluff. What we did find was a campfire that had been brought back to life by the wind or not put out properly in the first place. I played Smokey Bear and put several shovels of dirt on top of it.

Bluff UT dust.jpg
Bluff, UT
Lady in bath tub.jpg
Dust storm.jpg
Bluff UT dust.jpg

last

We continued through Paradox Valley deciding not to make a decision about our final plans (to abandon or not) until we got to Whitewater, just south of Grand Junction. We went along the Dolores River then up San Miguel Creek where there were some pretty cool wooden flume remnants on the canyon wall. We eventually got to highway 141 and found these signs, guessing this was an old reclaimed Uranium mine or mill. Came across a nice heard of elk along West Creek, adjacent to Uncompagre Plateau.

Dolores River.jpg

flume.jpg

sign.jpg

After listening to more weather, now snow in the forecast, we decided on fast food in Grand Junction, a stop at Cabelas and then headed home. Rain and some snow stopped at Vail pass, got home about 2am. Cool trip, just a bummer we had to bail out our last night. - Leon
Dolores River.jpg
flume.jpg
sign.jpg

Cabela's in Grand Junction

Vic, Cabela's is at Mesa Mall on 6&50 in the west part of Grand Junction. Nice place. You should go.
Image184.jpg

Cabelas was founded in a tiny farming town called Chappell in Nebraska near the CO border, where I have some family. The storefront is still there and I have a pic of it somewhere. They started selling fly's mail order on their kitchen table. They have come a long way..

Cabela's in Grand Junction

pictures inside the Grand Junction Cabela's. The many displays are exceptional in their presentation. Many 4-hoof-drive models.
Image186.jpg
Image185.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom