Spring Break 2017, March 25- 29, San Rafael Swell, part two (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dates are shown as the Spring Break range and are still TBD. Looking at about 5 days total, 4 nights out.

Our family has been doing spring break trips for several years. Going different places and exploring somewhere new. Five years ago others started coming with us. That year was an epic trip running Kokopelli's Trail with Eric and his kids (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-spring-break-2012-kokopellis-trail-trip.html).

Here are the others, good times!

the San Rafael Swell (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-rafael-swell-spring-break-march-27-31-a.html) ,
New Mexico (Spring Break Trip 2014 March 23 - 27, New Mexico Expo)

Canyonlands Spring Break 2015 - March 21 - 26 - Canyonlands

Kokopelli revisited and Island in the Skyhttps://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spring-break-2016-march-19-25-kokopellis-canyonlands.894520/

Actually, Eric and his bunch have been along every year since our second trip, so I guess I really shouldn't be claiming this trip alone.

This year will be number 6 and likely the last for us as our daughter is graduating high school this year. In 2013 we went to the San Rafael Swell and left wanting more. So it is time to revisit a great area that is not quite as far as some of our recent trips.

So..I'm gauging interest for this trip. The plan is for a multi-night, family friendly, expo type trip. More of finding out what's over that next hill or around the next bend mentality and a new camp every night. We will try to get in some side hikes checking out Indian art, ruins, old mining stuff etc.

Right now it is me, and Eric, but I know Travis had expressed interest in the past.

I have a rough idea of the plan I just need to check in with Eric on a few things. I will post up some links with a little more information soon.

Contact information

Simplex 146.460 Mhz

repeater use if necessary (Repeaters - Cedar Mountain UHF)

Cedar Mtn. (linked)

Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: K7SDC
Output Frequency: 147.140 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.740 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS: 88.5 Hz

Cedar Mtn. (standalone)
Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: WX7Y
Output Frequency: 448.550 MHz
Input Frequency: 443.550 MHz
Offset: -5 MHz
CTCSS (Tone Sq): 88.5 Hz

Moab (linked)

Repeater Callsign: K7QEQ
Output Frequency: 146.900 MHz
Input Frequency: 146.300 MHz
Offset: -600 kHz
CTCSS: 88.5 Hz

Also, check out the Colroad Connection for new repeater frequencies. They have not all been updated to 88.5

The Colorado Connection Repeater Sites

Last edited:
Hey Leon - sorry for the delay, been away from mud for a bit. We're definitely interested - I'm trying to find some time to look at maps. And making sure we can deconflict with college visits.

Been a while since I updated this post as I was dealing with very serious family issues all of Jan. and Feb. I also needed to wait and see how my back was doing. Recently diagnosed with SI joint dysfunction and herniated L5/S1 disk. I am improving slowly but wanted to make sure I didn't need to cancel the trip.

Trip is still on.

Here is a link to some of the sights we hope to hit on this trip.
North Swell Exploring - Expedition Utah

The plan will be to leave the first weekend as I need to be back for Saturday April 1st. We can leave Friday night or early Saturday 25th. and return mid-weekish depending on how many nights we stay out. We can get all that nailed down soon.

Got the RTT remounted yesterday.
Thanks for the helping hand Luke!

IMG_2105.JPG

Add to the confirmed list is Luke and family :clap:

Here are some updates.

Leave Saturday and drive back Wed. On the drive back we may try and hit the geyser and old missle test site as time and interest permits. That will give us 4 nights on the trail. There is no water. Last time Eric and I were running on fumes, fuel lights long burning on our way back to Green River, even with 5 gallons of extra fuel. This time we should be better off as we will not be base camped so there will be less back and forth.

Day 1 -Leave Saturday morning, time still tbd. We will drive out Hwy 50 to GJ as it is more scenic and relaxing.

From my house it should be about a 7 hour drive to the first camp, just south of Black Dragon.

Day 2 will be spent exploring Balck Dragon, working our way up to the Buckhorn panel, dinosaur tracks, swinging bridge and MK tunnels. I hope to camp at the Wedge somewhere that night.

Day 3 , explore around camp a bit then head out towards Fuller bottom, check out the seeps and stuff.

More to come.

I will also post up UT repeater frequencies

Last edited:
Remember this is a fairly heavily used area so portable toilet systems are recommended, OR, be prepared to hike a ways away from camp to bury things. There are some scattered pit toilets but timing cannot be guaranteed.

Day 3 we will need to decide to do Devils race track or Eva Conover once we hit that spilt. We make a decision at the split depending on how much time we have and what everyone is feeling up to. Kind of depends on the day 4.

Day 4 I would like to do both the Copper globe mine and slot canyon like top of Little Wild Horse, Ding Dang, Bell etc, but don't know if we have time for both.

Really days 3 and 4 area bit open, those are a few thoughts as we can adapt on the trail.

After looking things over more, I plan on bringing an extra 5 gal of fuel just to be safe with the thirst 80 series.

Last edited:
Weather is starting to look a bit dodgy toward the end of the week. Trail area should be fine, a bit wet maybe. But the drive out on Saturday could be interesting depending on how things develop.

How are you set for carrying fuel this year Leon? Thoughts on availability of water? I have provision to carry 4 jerry cans total, but could put water inside the trailer.

Looks like the worst should be over by Friday night. Hopefully by the time we hit Monarch pass the roads will be okay. From there it shouldn't be too bad. The forecast for Green river shows highs in upper 40s and lows in upper 20s for Sunday and Monday, I am guessing it will warm up after that.

As for gas, I was hoping to borrow your rack;). I will fill it in Green River and empty it asap. Once empty I can carry it inside or in the trasharoo. Really, I can carry it inside for the short bit between Green River and our first camp. Don't want to impose.

I actually thought up a Jerry can design that can make use of the stock spare tire location, but I don't have time to mock up and build.

My rack is available for one can, no problem. Are you just planning on just 5 gallons of gas? My rig is a bit thirstier pulling the trailer. I think there have been some posts on Jerry can racks for the spare tire location in the 80s section - but yes, no time for this trip!

The forecasts I've been following don't show it getting quite that cold in Green River - mid to upper 30s for the overnight lows.

I saw your thread in New posts. If it's been raining expect to swim in little Wildhorse canyon, ding, and dang. If it's chilly there's no place to warm up for a while. Be careful. It's typically 3 hours to get through little Wildhorse, then 3 to get back through Bell if you're doing the loop. There's good camping near Little Wildhorse, to the East at Wildhorse Mesa. There's a nasty wash if you're thinking of going out past Molly's castle leaving that area. Sandy bottom and just the right angle usually to give you traction on only 2 opposite wheels. Don't under estimate it.

Crack canyon and it's neighbor are more accessible after a storm, but not the same experience. Still cool. It's easiest to access from the behind the reef road.

If you're North of I-70 anyways you might consider black box canyon for a good slot. Probably more water there though. Good luck, have fun. Be safe.

Thanks! Thoughts on the Fuller Bottom water crossing if there's been rain?

Just like the rest of the rivers/creeks in the swell, the bottom changes regularly. That crossing is at a pretty loopy spot in the river and people have made several crossings there and made their way across the sage brush to get back to the road. I do like the Empire does in these situations. Send in the drones! A few teenagers with hiking sticks make good bottom testers. If you lose one it's OK, there are more where that came from. Just don't lose a Cruiser to it. ;)

@MDarius thanks for the intel, much appreciated. I am hoping by the time we get to those places it will have stopped raining for a while. Certainly keep an eye out. I will check out Box canyon as that might be a good option for us instead of having to go down as far south as I was originally thinking. Nice to have options on a trip like this. As for Fuller bottom, if we had to we could bypass through Castle Dale.

Eric, thanks and we can see how things pack up. As for amount of gas, you will be loaded heavier than I will be. I would think given the looping nature of this trip we should do better on fuel than last time when we were base camped and had all the back and forth.

No problem. I'm thinking this would be a good route for a club trip in April for Wasatch Cruisers, so I'm interested in your trip report and pics. Enjoy!

Thinking back - I think last year I stashed one of the water cans inside the trailer until your gas can was empty, so I had two gas & two water.

Planning on bringing the bigger tent this year so the kids aren't as cramped. That and the rain fly on the smaller one has issues.

We're getting prepared. Crawled underneath the Blue-J and gave it a good inspection. Everything seems good to go. Gave all the zerks a shot of grease. Also decided to track down a nagging, cyclical vibration I have at 64-67ish mph. Turns out it was the front driveshaft. It's headed to the shop tomorrow.
Got a pretty good scare Sunday night, as I had a bout of flu, or maybe food poisoning keep me up all night Sunday and home from work Monday. That was awful. Figured the girls would get it, but they did not. I'll be 100% by trip day. :bounce:

Luke, Glad you're better and the family escaped it! Odd that it is the front drive shaft but as long as you got it figured out.

Eric, sounds like you are set with fuel! Good call on the tent, I remember that rain fly being a problem last year. Remember the wind at the first camp on White Rim :eek:. Not sure what was worse, that night or the last night on the NM trip!

Finally tired out my ATAS HF antenna after I replaced the PC board and it is working. Will try some HF out on the trip:cool:

Weather is looking warmer & drier out in UT :bounce2:

I had noticed that the weld on one of the bolts that holds my jack on the tire carrier had broken. So I cleaned it up and zapped it. Then went to tighten up the nut that holds the jack, and found that it was siezed - and promptly sheared the bolt. So then had to grind off the weld I just put down :bang:

@EricG before you guys take off on Saturday, would you please pass "info" to @Spadone so he can update the CLC webpage? Access user name, password, etc. I have his phone number if you need it to call him, just text me.

@MDarius take a look at trailsoffroad.com; many of those named trails are on the site, and were updated earlier this year or last December. Look to the bottom of the trail pages for "Trip Reports". If you register as a site user (free), then you can post your own trip reports with pictures and video.

A trailsoffroad group from Boulder/Ft. Collins will be out there this weekend to write some new trails and update existing ones. If you see a grandpa looking dude with a white beard (his name is Bill), driving a green XJ, stop and say hello.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom