Spring Break 2015 - March 21 - 26 - Canyonlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More pics, less talking
resize-IMG_5644.JPG
resize-IMG_5648.JPG

Ok, I'm not saying it was aliens, but...
resize-IMG_5651.JPG

More pics
resize-IMG_5669.JPG
resize-IMG_5672.JPG
resize-IMG_5675.JPG

I really wish I had some pictures of Elephant Hill, but as has been mentioned, it was pretty dark by that time. It was pretty scary - probably more then Rose Garden Hill on Kokopelli, but maybe the memory of how scary that was has faded a bit. The fun part was backing the trailer about 40 yards up one leg of the first switchback to get the angle on the next leg.

Anyway, we made it through and ended up at the Split Top group site - after dark again! And again, one of the coolest camp sites I've seen.

resize-IMG_5707.JPG
resize-IMG_5716.JPG
resize-IMG_5713.JPG

That's all folks...
resize-IMG_5662.JPG

Hey Luke, what kind of bag were you using for for your gear on your roof rack?

Waterproof?

Like it?

If not, any suggestions? I'd like to get something like that for my tent for the San Juans trip.

Thanks.

Waterproof?

Like it?

If not, any suggestions? I'd like to get something like that for my tent for the San Juans trip.

Thanks.

I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D9...ooftop+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=41NQ3F5CkWL&ref=plSrch

Not sure if it's totally waterproof, never got rained on, but it did a great job of keeping the dust out. It held up very well and was easy to use. It probably helped greatly that I had it in my roof rack, which gave me a lot of options for the strap placement. Not sure how well it would do with just a couple crossbars like a normal SUV has, there would be nothing to tie the side straps to.

I figure the people who had bad luck in the comment section had the bag on the roof backwards. The bag has one side without zippers or flaps, it has to face forward to prevent water entry, or the flaps and zippers being forced open.

Last edited:
NICE!

Glad you guys made the route and had a great time!

Wheeling in to the Doll House and doing E-hill at night is kinda fun. One of the last times I went into E-Hill I did most of it with a dirtbike (street legal) on a hitch carrier behind the 60. It took some spotting until we pulled it off and Bruce rode it in. :D

Looks like you guys had good weather too.

Thanks for the pictures and trip report!

I've got this one, which has worked great for sleeping bags, including at least one heavy rain.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OPJDOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D9...ooftop+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=41NQ3F5CkWL&ref=plSrch

Not sure if it's totally waterproof, never got rained on, but it did a great job of keeping the dust out. It held up very well and was easy to use. It probably helped greatly that I had it in my roof rack, which gave me a lot of options for the strap placement. Not sure how well it would do with just a couple crossbars like a normal SUV has, there would be nothing to tie the side straps to.

I figure the people who had bad luck in the comment section had the bag on the roof backwards. The bag has one side without zippers or flaps, it has to face forward to prevent water entry, or the flaps and zippers being forced open.

Thanks for the info guys!

Waterproof?

Like it?

Thanks.

I have a dry bag for canoeing that is big enough to fit the Kodiak tent. I used it several years ago on the roof during a rainy trip to Moab, pre trailer, and everything was dry.

One of the last times I went into E-Hill I did most of it with a dirtbike (street legal) on a hitch carrier behind the 60. It took some spotting until we pulled it off and Bruce rode it in. :D

That's sounds pretty intense and I bet there was lot of hitch scraping going on! Thanks again for the info on the RS forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom