spraying rust inhibitor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
was under the truck this weekend, and have decided i REALLY need to do something about the creepinf rust on the frame. its not too bad, even at the shock mount, but the spare tire brace, where its bolted to the frame, is cracking off like sheets of thick ice. This can only be a indication of what else might happen.
i want to keep this truck as long as i can, given the overall condition ( great).
I cant afford the time to do a frame-ff restoration, so the question is this:
can i use a sprayer, like the plastic insect pump-style ones to spray something like rust-bullet, or por 15?
i figure i can lower the spare, scrap the bast i can, and kinda hose down the frame. I would do this over a tarp, and when the drips are dry, throw the tarp out. I has to be better than nothing. i cant use my HVLP spray unit from my shop, 'cause its always in use.
ideas??
hammer

I've heard of guys spraying used motor oil all over the bottom of the rig to prevent rust. Try that.

:beer:

GLTHFJ60 said:
I've heard of guys spraying used motor oil all over the bottom of the rig to prevent rust. Try that.

You might be better off painting on used gear oil. It's cleaner (less toxic) since it's not exposed to combustion, and it definitely works. My frame is like new where my TC slings oil.

Bill

i dont need anymore stains on my driveway. i just need to know if i can spray por-15 or rust-bullet with the said sprayer

Hey hammer, you might find por-15's web site and see if there are apllication suggestions on there. I've never seen it so I can't tell ya if it's viscus enough to spray. Good luck with it, take some pics and let us know how it goes.

Hmmm, surface prep is gonna be the problem. I known that Por-15 and Rust BUllet say they can penetrate rusty metal. I've got the same kinda rusty condition on one of my trucks.

I'd recommend a product that will creep. Unfortunately that also means drips.

I'd either go the oil way or spray it with Ospho (or equivalent) after a good cleaning.

I'm spooked about solidifed coatings (Por, Rust Bullet, similar stuff) on older trucks where rust has already started.

Cheers,
Cahil

Hammer have you had a chance to use the stuff I sent to you?

I bought some zero rust in a can to paint my springs with and it seems to work good.It would be kinda pricy to buy enough to paint a lot of area. But if you are going to use paint you need to clean it up first some how to give the paint some good metal to stick to. They offer a prep-step product to prepare the surface.

http://www.zerorust.com/

http://www.zerorust.com/prepstep.html

Goodluck

batman,
no, i havent had the time. im trying to figure out application stuff first.
thanks

I've been looking around for the spray they use in eastern canada where the salt is really bad, they spray the whole underthe hood and undercarraige with a sticky oil, which can be pressure washed off in the spring, my 60 is 99% rustfree but I'm freaking out as I'm about 6 weeks away from the first dose of roadsalt the ole girl we see

cdngearhead said:
I've been looking around for the spray they use in eastern canada where the salt is really bad, they spray the whole underthe hood and undercarraige with a sticky oil, which can be pressure washed off in the spring, my 60 is 99% rustfree but I'm freaking out as I'm about 6 weeks away from the first dose of roadsalt the ole girl we see

Ahhh, your talking about "Krown". Good stuff. Does need yearly re-application. This is a very similar process to spraying with oil but "Krown" is using a proprietary blend which is a bit tackier and is electrically neutral and not conductive like oil. With the blend they use they can spray electrical components and not cause any problem. Wish I knew where to find this stuff.

If you figure out the blend post it up.

I really like this stuff because it "creeps" and will soak into any existing rust.

Somebody had messed with mixes of phosphouric (sp?) acid (Navel Jelly) and chainsaw lube. Had good results ???

I'd use Salt-X to remove salt in the spring time too ...

Cahil

P.S. website www.krown.com

Last edited:
I like the Bar oil treatment. The Krown seems like it's for cars that have NO rust on them at all. Plus, it seems expensive. The oil is the way to go.

Vermont rust prevention is the best because it is the rust capital of the US.

Thanx Guys
the bar oil sounds interesting, as I have lots of it at the shop, checked the krown website, theres a bodyshop on the list about an hour from me, I can sleep easy now not worrying about the ole girl, she's too nice to see rust on

I like using Ospho. Green liquid that neutralizes rust. It can be bought at body supply shops or Home Depot. It's fairly cheap. Under $20 a gallon.
I use a parts cleaning blower nozzle with a siphon hose. I put the siphone hose in the jug of Ospho, attach my air hose and spray away. Great for getting inside doors, rocker panels, tailgates etc.

any problems with he Ospho? like overspay on the driveway?drips?
is it caustic?
hammer

hammer1 said:
any problems with he Ospho? like overspay on the driveway?drips?
is it caustic?
hammer

YES! It will spot/stain concrete white and will burn like a mofo when it comes into contact with your skin for any length of time - ask me how I know :doh:

Beyond that, it works well.

-db-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom