Spray paint to touch up FJ40 frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm restoring my 72 FJ40. my frame is in good shape but has some visible surface rust in spots. Does it make sense to just lightly sand it off and hit it with a little spray paint to cover it up? if so, any particular brand or type? i saw a thread discussing a spray on black epoxy.

Difficult question to answer really. It depends on what you consider a restoration, how much money you have to sink into it, and whether the body is already off. There is nothing wrong with doing some running maintenance. Personally, if my frame was loose I'd do the whole thing properly - clean, rust proof and paint - it's be a real pain to do it later. But until I get to that stage I'll be treating symptoms.

There are a heap of threads on the brand/type/approach, might help to search on rust bullet and POR15

Well i knew that i live in sunny CA and i know that i don't have to deal with salt roads or anything like that so i went with spray paint... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I'm not sure how well the color matches frame, but I recently used a VHT brand epoxy spray paint and I really liked the way it went down. It seems to blend / feather real well so you probably won't even know it's from a spray can (assuming the color is close).

I no longer buy Rustoleum for touch up such as you're talking about since I found VHT.

I'm restoring my 72 FJ40. Does it make sense to just lightly sand it off and hit it with a little spray paint to cover it up?

These two statements are contradictory. If you were restoring it, you'd take the body off the frame, strip it and recoat it. Epoxy would be good, as would powder coat. If you're just freshening up a reasonably nice fj40, either leave a little rust, or sand and hit it with rustoleum, but don't call it a restoration.

Welcome. :flipoff2: Post pics.

Rust killer

I am kind of the middle of not needing a frame off but still in need of a little touch up. When I put my new suspension lift on I though it would be a good time to clean up the frame that I wouldn't be able to get to without the springs off. My frame is in really good condition (Socal rig) with little to no rust. The front bumper area did have a little more rust. Here are some before and after pics. I sanded down, primed, and painted with good ole Rustoleum. I hit what I could although I know it isn't the entire frame. Better some than none. Looks really good and at least it is protected some until the day I get to do or need a frame off.
In the aviation world we have guys with their only job being Corrosion Control. Better to kill the rust ASAP before it get worse and weakens the area.
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg

I'm not sure how well the color matches frame, but I recently used a VHT brand epoxy spray paint and I really liked the way it went down. It seems to blend / feather real well so you probably won't even know it's from a spray can (assuming the color is close).

I no longer buy Rustoleum for touch up such as you're talking about since I found VHT.

There's really no such thing as epoxy paint in a spray can. Epoxies are 2K (2 component) paints that need to be mixed prior to spraying.

both components are in the can but kept separate. when you are ready to use it you push in the pin on the bottom of the can and it allows them to mix and 'activate'

View attachment 518655

I'm aware those types of products exist, but most people looking for 2k epoxies aren't going to waste their time and money on rustoleum paint. That's why very, very few of those products are even on the market. Also, he was talking about the VHT stuff, which is not a real epoxy primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom