spray paint aluminum wheels??

I know there has been some discussion on powder coating but what about just spray painting them completely black? Has anyone tried this. Pros and cons?

thanks

Last edited:

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
SILVER Star

Brake cleaner works pretty well for making sure the surface is clean. I had mine painted with a silver metallic wheel finish. I was a little concerned about it hold it up. It has been several months and they are OK. Cruiser Ken has had his stock 80 wheels painted black for some time. I think he's redone them once after they got into some rocks. He might post up about his experiences.

The trick to getting paint to stay on is prep, use sandpaper, scotchbrite, whatever to remove all the shine from all surfaces that will be painted. Use a solvent that doesn't leave a residue, like lacquer thinner, acetone, brake cleaner, not carb cleaner or paint thinner.

I cleaned mine with soap and water and a nylon scrub brush. Been rattle can painted a couple years now. They need touched up, you can see in the pic where I had one wheel re-balanced and didn't touch up the balancing lead.
128-2820_IMG.JPG

That looks good!! I think that is what I am going to do. It is alot cheaper than buying new rims and when I damage these I will buy new steel wheels.

cruiser ken,

Did you paint them the wheels with the tires mounted? If yes, were they on or off the truck?

thanks

TX_TLC

I did this twice to old rigs...prep makes all the difference. I sprayed them with the tires mounted, but I did remove them from the truck so they could lay flat.

I just used some plastic to shield the tires from the paint.

scottm

I rattlecanned my wheels this summer, stock silver and clear. I sanded the silver down to bare metal, primed and painted it. Just roughed the clearcoat and cleared over the whole wheel. Looks great so far, winter will be the test.

Top Bottom