Spray-on Bedliner as undercoating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I don't own a 40... yet! I was wondering what you guys use on your tubs for spray-on bedliner, and what the best stuff is. I also would like to know what is the most cost-effective, that is, what is the least expensive but still effective.

It would also help if this was limited to the kinds that are available in the Denver, CO area. Thanks for the help. My boss is trying to make a '55 Chevy pickup into a hot-rod, and wanted to know about this. I told him about some of the awesome builds I've seen here, and he said it sounded pretty good.

BadM,
I've had good luck with Durabak. It's easy to spray, builds up nicely and seems to be durable. You'll get alot of info if you go to the paint section. Good luck, and I agree, this is an awesome site.
Now go get a Landcruiser.

visit the rising sun website, there's a link to a guy in the denver area that does spray on bedliner and he's offered discounts to rising sun members, so he must like us cruiser folks;)

Thanks for the suggestion. fireflyr. I've got an 80, just not a 40. :meh:
:)hhmm:Ooh, my first opportunity to say "Read the sig line, newb!" but I think that's lame.)
Did you spray on your Durabak, or did you have someone else do it? Thanks for the tip, 'lemon, I'm not a Rising Sun Member yet. I'll still give him a call, though.

BadM,
I've had good luck with Durabak. It's easy to spray, builds up nicely and seems to be durable. You'll get alot of info if you go to the paint section. Good luck, and I agree, this is an awesome site.
Now go get a Landcruiser.

durabak

It has been mentioned to use the smooth not the rough durabak to keep from holding onto mud and crud

I dont see a down side other than it would be hard to remove if it ever came up---another option is por 15 and for really getting into the seams a real good product is WAXOYL

Waxoyl is available in a near clear version which is nice for keeping an eye on things

Sorry man, I guess I need to read the whole thing. I used some left over gray mixed with black Durabak on the underside of my fenders. It is the textured UV stuff and it rinses off just fine. The texture is different if you roll it as opposed to spraying it. I bought an undercoating gun from my paint shop for $25 to apply it.

100_2408.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

fjrebuild002.jpg

100_2316.jpg

PS I primed the bare metal with self etching primer first.

Last edited:
Wurth SKS. Use a shutz gun to spray it. Paintable - but I prefer to leave it as is.

Go to your local automotive paint store and ask them for the (clear) bedliner. it (looks like clear coat) but it dries rock hard and can easily be tinted to the color of your cruiser. I did this on mine last week and it looks great.
It's a true bedliner and the color is completely translucent (clear) and it tinted by adding some enamel paint of the color you want....
Since I painted my cruiser Olive, I added a pint of Olive and it came out perfect.

I have a red FJ40 and used the red Durabak. I sprayed it on. It is the rough mix and will hold dirt. But it does go on nice and is strong and will cover any flaws in the surface. Be sure to use xeylene as a prep cleaner. I paid $143 for it including shipping. It came in 4 quart containers and I used only 3 of them. I tried the Duplicolor stuff it was not very good.

I've had 2 of my trucks beds sprayed with Line-X which is great stuff, very durable. I am considering this for the inside of the tub on my 40. If I remember correctly it can be had in many colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom