Spotlights wired to full beam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear All,

I recently had my spot lights wired to work independently and also with full beams via a 3 way switch.

I am however told not to connect to the full beam wire as the switch will burn, anyone out there with some advise or experience on this?

Thanks

not an expert but couldnt you just put a relay on the high beam circuit so it wont load up the switch to turn your aux lights?

There is a relay connected to the 3 way switch, can I put another one or is there need for another one connected to the high beam wire so that switch can be protected?

Headlights are powered through a relay. The high beams ground through the switch on the stalk, but if your aux lights are fed through a relay and have a separate ground path then there will be no additional load on the switch.

Thanks Jon,

There is a relay right after the 3 way switch, then the connections go on from there, does it matter where the relay is located? should it be connected to the high beam wire directly?

Monster80, I am still not an expert but I am dying to help you and I know I can but it would be nice if you drew or had a diagram of how you wired it so I / we can see how you did it. I am having a hard time trying to picture how you did it, sorry...

x2. Without a schematic I'm not really sure if I answered your original question correctly. When you said, "the switch will burn", what switch were you referring to? I assumed you meant the headlight switch on the stalk.

Yes I meant the headlight switch on the stalk.

Wiring was done by my mechanic and pardon my ignorance on electrical issues, all i know is:

There is a direct connection to the battery from the spotlights, then wire comes inside to a 3 way switch, there is another wire from the high beam bulb of one of the headlights that comes in also to the switch. Right before the switch is a relay.

Initially it was connected direct via a 2 way switch, my mechanic replaced this with a 3 way switch and connected it to the headlight beam switch via wire under the stearing & somehow to the headlight full beam bulb wiring.

The spots can now be swirched on independantly or with high beam, thus the 3 way switch which is high bem, off and direct.

Hope this explains, however looks like I will have to open up the connections and have a look again, I was told that the switch at the stalk could burn out due to this wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom