1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spot for bigger tool kit...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Houston FZJ80, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Houston FZJ80

Houston FZJ80

Since I have 2 Labs that I regularly haul around, my rear compartment has to be absent of anything chewable... even the seatbelts are removed.

Since the rear compartment where the factory tool kit was a little small for what tools I wanted to include... I was trying to come up with an area to store a little bit bigger tool kit...

Without a need for a 2nd battery yet, but wanting to someday do that mod, I thought it would make a decent location for a little extra storage out of the way... so I ordered the washer bottle relocation kit from Slee and the 2nd battery tray kit from Cdan and I now have a tool bag compartment where the dual battery would go. A little warm, but as long as you don't store WD-40 or other compressed fluids, it should be ok:

I am sure someone else has thought about this, but couldn't find anything in search:

[​IMG]
    Roughly 12.5" wide X 7" deep X 9" tall to clear the hood.

[​IMG]
    The only nice tool bag I could find that just fit these dimensions was this Bucket Boss Gate Mouth Jr I found at Sears.

[​IMG]
    Fits nice and holds plenty for what I would want to attempt to fix on the road.​

Probably could be used to keep take-out food warm on the way home also!

2. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Very nice. thats a great idea.

3. Biff

Biff

Good idea, might do the same with my space.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Great 'in the box' (battery box) thinking. Pure genius in your circumstances!

5. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

I was suprised this summer at the quanity of tools and what not that were stored in the engine compartment of the FJ60 I used this summer in Tibet. It was pretty interesting seeing all these little hidey-holes stuffed with stuff.

I like your solution much better. Our driver used an old Beef jerky plastic bag to hold some of his tools and spare parts.

Ross

6. reffug

reffug

I already have the second battery so no room for me, but that is an excellent idea for anybody who is planning on the second batt. down the road and wants tool space in the time being. Very innovative sir.

7. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Hmm wait, i was just looking at my engine bay.....will this work for 93-94's? seems like it a tighter fit, our air boxes have another small box coming off from them, not sure what it is.

8. Heffenoche

Heffenoche

It'll fit if you relocate the washer bottle.

9. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
  10. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!

lol - I had a pic in my mind of you pulling up to the window at McDonald's with your hood up, challenging the cashier to sink a 6 footer across your engine compartment!

11. Houston FZJ80

Houston FZJ80

I was thinking it would make a good warming oven if Nakman was cooking for a big group with his header cooker. Pull over every 1/2 hour and throw the cooked eats in the tray, reload cooker with new food.

12. elum

elum

dude.. we should really start a section for "aspiring MacGyvers or something"....

13. loquito

loquito

Its a part that you will remove to fit the second battery tray, Its not very hard and you can even use the hose thats there now, just go directly to the air filter from the engine with the hose.
    I put tools in mine also during the camping trip worked real nice.
    Good idea.
    S