Spongy brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back ground. Its a 94. Replaced the pads, calipers, soft lines and master cylinder about month and a half ago. It was stopping great untill the other day. So I know the system was bleed correctly. The reservoir is old and yellow. Is there any way I could be sucking air from somewhere or is it most likely vacume related.

Check your vacuum booster hoses and the lspv for corrosion and leaks.

There are a few write ups how to troubleshoot brake issues.

The wheel bearings were just replaced also preload of 30lbs. Starts with normal pedal then goes soft to about half way to floor then gets hard.

I’ve started having a similar issue. (LSPV is bypassed.) Stopped great up until about a month ago. Still stops great, until I actually come to a stop and my RPM’s drop. Then it slowly goes all the way to the floor and wants to creep forward.

I’ve started having a similar issue. (LSPV is bypassed.) Stopped great up until about a month ago. Still stops great, until I actually come to a stop and my RPM’s drop. Then it slowly goes all the way to the floor and wants to creep forward.
Master cylinder if it goes to the floor.

Sounds like a master cylinder internal leak to me. I've had horrible luck with rebuilt MC's FWIW.

'Spongy brakes'

You know I had the same problem for awhile. I had bled my brakes, have a fairly new Master Cylinder on it, fairly new LSPV, ABS good, lines O.K.

Then one day while cleaning the carpet....I found the problem. Never would have guessed to look there. Removed it...and problem solved. ;)

SB1.jpg

SB2.jpg

So is the consensus that it is most likely the booster?

You can do the mud thing, start replacing random parts until it's fixed, or test and find the problem? All of the dead boosters that I have seen have caused a high/hard pedal. Soft, spongy pedal is more likely to be air in the system, leak, loose wheel bearing(s), etc.

You can do the mud thing, start replacing random parts until it's fixed, or test and find the problem? All of the dead boosters that I have seen have caused a high/hard pedal. Soft, spongy pedal is more likely to be air in the system, leak, loose wheel bearing(s), etc.

^^^^^ This. Soft pedal is not a booster problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom