Splitting case in truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I need to get the transfer case off my for a lady/advanced adapters adapter. I’ve never done this before and would like to know the minimum amount of work required to get the case off the adapter. I am this far…

9072FD12-923C-4141-A557-6F9A783B7F74.jpeg

do I have to pull the idler out? I don’t have 35mm socket. Or will the case come apart as it is

drain the oil in the transmission, you need to remove the nut from the back of the trans output shaft, 12 oclock in the pic, then remove the linkage from the top of the case where it shifts H N L, remove the PTO cover plate, remove all the bolts between both halves, separate the rear from the front, there will beseveral bolts holding the front to the trans, remove those and remove the front

@3_puppies thanks for the info. So, use the 35mm socket my son is bringing home to remove the bearing set that is the back of the main shaft. I already have the shifter disconnected. Take the PTO cover off. Just off, undo anything?
I’ve already got the bolts out. So, nut and PTO and the thing comes off?

Once you get the perimeter bolts off, the back half will come off. You have to get the PTO cover off to get to those driver side perimeter bolts. The back half of the case will come off without taking that 35mm nut off but you will eventually need to take it off to remove the front half. So you might as well get it done. When you are pulling the rear half, keep pushing the idler shaft (rusty round part in the center) forward so it doesn't pop off the front case half and gears fall to the ground. Then remove the gears and the remaining 4 or so fasteners inside the tase and pull the front half off.

Thanks for all the help. I got it off. Such an unusual design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom