1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split transfer in early 40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 76kcfdeng, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 76kcfdeng

76kcfdeng

Hi, new to forum. I have a question about transfer cases. I would like to put a split transfer in my 75 fj40 with a 4 speed and I assume a 16 spline output. The reason for this swap is that you can buy 4.1 low range gears for the split case. Can the output shaft of the h42 16 spline be swapped for the 19 spline? Can the input of the transfer be changed to 16 spline? Are there any other changes that have to made, drive flanges and such? I know you lose the parking brake on the driveshaft. This seems like a cheaper option than a crawler box, dual transfers and such. I don't want to spend the money on the h55 and have to change the driveline lengths. Thanks in advance, Glen

2. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Welcome, Glen. If you are staying with a 4 speed it is probably much easier to go with a 4 speed that comes with the split case since the output shaft already has the correct splines. These 4 speeds can usually be had for $75-50.

The lowest you can find on the market is 3.05:1 for the split case. They were about $1300 a set last year, and with the poor US $ exchange rates, the Aussie gear sets are probably getting more costly. If you can find a 4:1 gear set for the split case, I'd like to know about it.

Dave

3. 76kcfdeng

76kcfdeng

Unless I read it wrong, Marlin crawler just came out with them, less than a $1000. I am going to check the site again. I was thinking that that would be the way to go(newer 4sp), always looking for the least expensive option that works correctly. I guess I should have looked closer, its 4.7to1 but for pickup t-cases,only works for lc's with the crawler box. Too good to be true. :doh:. I needed to do more homework on this I guess. I want lower gears without the hassle of changing driveline lengths and swapping in non toyota transmissions, not to mention the expense.
    Glen

4. tnt40

tnt40 Guest

Beanz2,
    I would like to kow where you can get a 4 spd and split case for $75-50. I would like to get a few....

5. lagwagon

lagwagon

How many 4 speeds do you want? I have plenty.

6. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

[quote author=tnt40 link=board=1;threadid=12547;start=msg115188#msg115188 date=1078441047]
    Beanz2,
    I would like to kow where you can get a 4 spd and split case for $75-50. I would like to get a few....
    [/quote]

tnt40,

Read my reply again, I said "These 4 speeds can usually be had for $75-50". Did I say if the 4 speeds are mated to split case?

As for the H42's going for cheap, look at this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33733&item=2463515501
    I know the seller has a few for sale.

Dave

7. tnt40

tnt40 Guest

Beanz2
    Your previous statement was "go with a 4spd that comes with the split case" . I guess I miss read it.

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  9. 76kcfdeng

76kcfdeng

The Orion looks like the answer, still pricey and not available yet. I think it is the best option for me, hope they are out soon!
    Thanks for the info, Glen

10. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Yes, the four speed tranny parts are mostly all interchangeable. I'e got a diesel 4 speed case (originally had the split case transfer) with FJ 4 speed gears and a diesel input shaft and a 16 spline output for the single piece case in my garage right now for the FJ55 3B project. I went this way to retain the PTO setup for the FJ55. Anyone need an FJ input shaft??

11. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

Why not just go with a dual transfer adaptor like the toybox or something? If your gonna go and spend all the money for gears, might be a better option.