split transfer in early 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, new to forum. I have a question about transfer cases. I would like to put a split transfer in my 75 fj40 with a 4 speed and I assume a 16 spline output. The reason for this swap is that you can buy 4.1 low range gears for the split case. Can the output shaft of the h42 16 spline be swapped for the 19 spline? Can the input of the transfer be changed to 16 spline? Are there any other changes that have to made, drive flanges and such? I know you lose the parking brake on the driveshaft. This seems like a cheaper option than a crawler box, dual transfers and such. I don't want to spend the money on the h55 and have to change the driveline lengths. Thanks in advance, Glen

Welcome, Glen. If you are staying with a 4 speed it is probably much easier to go with a 4 speed that comes with the split case since the output shaft already has the correct splines. These 4 speeds can usually be had for $75-50.

The lowest you can find on the market is 3.05:1 for the split case. They were about $1300 a set last year, and with the poor US $ exchange rates, the Aussie gear sets are probably getting more costly. If you can find a 4:1 gear set for the split case, I'd like to know about it.

Dave

Unless I read it wrong, Marlin crawler just came out with them, less than a $1000. I am going to check the site again. I was thinking that that would be the way to go(newer 4sp), always looking for the least expensive option that works correctly. I guess I should have looked closer, its 4.7to1 but for pickup t-cases,only works for lc's with the crawler box. Too good to be true. :doh:. I needed to do more homework on this I guess. I want lower gears without the hassle of changing driveline lengths and swapping in non toyota transmissions, not to mention the expense.
Glen

Beanz2,
I would like to kow where you can get a 4 spd and split case for $75-50. I would like to get a few....

How many 4 speeds do you want? I have plenty.

[quote author=tnt40 link=board=1;threadid=12547;start=msg115188#msg115188 date=1078441047]
Beanz2,
I would like to kow where you can get a 4 spd and split case for $75-50. I would like to get a few....
[/quote]

tnt40,

Read my reply again, I said "These 4 speeds can usually be had for $75-50". Did I say if the 4 speeds are mated to split case?

As for the H42's going for cheap, look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33733&item=2463515501
I know the seller has a few for sale.

Dave

Beanz2
Your previous statement was "go with a 4spd that comes with the split case" . I guess I miss read it.

The Orion looks like the answer, still pricey and not available yet. I think it is the best option for me, hope they are out soon!
Thanks for the info, Glen

Yes, the four speed tranny parts are mostly all interchangeable. I'e got a diesel 4 speed case (originally had the split case transfer) with FJ 4 speed gears and a diesel input shaft and a 16 spline output for the single piece case in my garage right now for the FJ55 3B project. I went this way to retain the PTO setup for the FJ55. Anyone need an FJ input shaft??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom