Split transfer case with vacuum front drive actuator from FJ62 in FJ40 - Does is Fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Preparing a 5 speed h55 install with parts on the way and still need a transfer case. I am installing in a 1971 with 2F, and am going to try to keep the Hi/Low lever under the dash and the cable/vacuum actuator for FD.
Found a post stating that it will not fit since the vacuum mechanism on the split case from FJ62 does not clear the frame rail on the FJ40. Other posts stated that it does work.
I just wanted to keep the interior as original as possible, but will use a manual on the floor before I cut the frame rail to make it fit.

IMHO, the shorter the engine/trans combo the more difficult it will be to squeeze in the vacuum FD shift mech. The picture below of my son's FJ40 build with a manual shift mechanism isn't the best, but gives you an idea of the room between the frame and t-case with a 4L60e trans, which is a LOT longer than the stock 4 speed and split case. There's just under 2 inches between the manual FD shift housing and the frame.

Transfer case.jpg

I remember someone trying to use a split case vacuum shift on a 45. By all the late model 40 series items I collected over the years that the frame on the LWB 45/47 series is actually narrower in this location. If the FJ62 vacuum would find in a short wheel base or mid wheel base not sure. Been trying to get information on the JDM BJ46 for a few years now. While the vacuum shift was completely gone in FJ40 by the 73 model year it did continue in other markets much later. Did have a conversation going with Dave @fjfjfj trying get information on his 83 JDM BJ46RV. The site I use doesn't even list the BJ46 in Japan and only BJ46 they show anywhere are all soft top model. Not the luxury hard top model offered in Japan. Maybe one of the other sites would list the JDM BJ46 and have a diagram of the vacuum shift. Want to say I seen a diagram once and the diaphragm was angled like the earlier 40 series not flat like on the FJ62. Twenty four years ago I bought a A440F and split case with only 30K miles. I have thought about using the transfer case with H55F. Doesn't work the case can be converted to manual shift 4WD.

Thanks for the pic and all the info. I am going to get the fj62 one anyway and if I can't figure it I will rig some kind of actuator and keep the dash switch. Maybe use compressed air from a locker (that I don't own) to actuate a piston, and attach the old FD pull knob to a solenoid.

Just a little more reference for you. Looks like the diaphragm makes the FD housing a full 2" wider, measured from the end of the indicator switch.

Manual
Vacuum Shift Actuator.jpg

Vacuum actuator

Split case manual FD actuator.jpg

I tried and tried to get the vac split case out of a 62 to fit in my fj45. No go. That was with the long h42. That vacuum actuator will be inside the frame. Sorry to tell ya it will not fit. I really wanted to keep the retro 4wd vacuum engage system. Eventually went to floor shift.

I tried and tried to get the vac split case out of a 62 to fit in my fj45. No go. That was with the long h42. That vacuum actuator will be inside the frame. Sorry to tell ya it will not fit. I really wanted to keep the retro 4wd vacuum engage system. Eventually went to floor shift.

Was this using the 8/80+ factory crossmember? While you wouldn't think so but the LWB is actually narrower at the crossmember location than the SWB. Have the three different style L brackets Toyota used. The FJ45 and HJ47 are shorter the the style used in the SWB/MWB. Probably not enough to make a difference for the vacuum diaphragm.

Maybe something like this:

vacuum actuate a 12v rocker switch and fab a mount for a linear actuator like that. Certainly easier to put in a floor shift and more complicated but if I get bored and want to make stuff it could be fun to try.

crossmember was not in the way. it was the width of the vacuum pod. i even cut a vacuum pod in half and was going to use a small linear actuator but eventually decided to keep my dash space and put in AC vents.. so abandoned the idea to convert the linkage for AC and went floor shift.

I fit one in my BJ44 with HZ and H55. My original 2B engine came with a vacuum front drive setup and it fit as well... You need the later transmission cross member and isolater which positions the tranny a little lower and clocks it slightly...

IIRC, Wayne did one and needed to notch the frame a little for better clearance.

For reference, mine was very tight and I did eventually want to create a little bit more clearance...

Last edited:
I was wanting to try this in my 71 project since it has all the original vacuum shift equipment present and perfectly intact..
I may try it anyways and see just how much frame needs to be cut.

Let me know how it goes, I’m close to fitting it up and will modify/reinforce frame as necessary.

I am probably 2-3 months out. You’ll probably beat me too it.
based on the pics above it doesn’t look like it will take too much

I am fitting it up now and looks like no big deal. There is already a hole in the frame rail in the area and I will elongate it some, then fab new rear mounts to drop the diaphragm about 1 inch. It will sit comfortably in the frame rail with plenty of clearance.

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

BarnFan posted this picture for me from his 84 BJ46.
2019-04-07 17.10.53.jpg

This would be a far better option if you could find one. Already have a spare FJ62 transfer case. Only split transfer case vacuum I would use in a 40 series would this one

BarnFan posted this picture for me from his 84 BJ46.

This would be a far better option if you could find one. Already have a spare FJ62 transfer case. Only split transfer case vacuum I would use in a 40 series would this one

right, as if that’s an easy one to find :rolleyes:

I am fitting it up now and looks like no big deal. There is already a hole in the frame rail in the area and I will elongate it some, then fab new rear mounts to drop the diaphragm about 1 inch. It will sit comfortably in the frame rail with plenty of clearance.

looking good. I am planning on running the shorter 80-84 H42 so I will not have as much room. Maybe I should re consider my plans and use a 85-87 instead. What tub are you using?

right, as if that’s an easy one to find :rolleyes:

I agree would be tough to find. Back in the mid nineties installed a four speed in my 68 FJ40. Did not cut the torque tube behind the transfer case. That is a royal pain to change the clutch in. Adding a PTO complicates it even more. Since then I look at how serviceable a mod would be. I have a spare transmission and transfer case for my FJ62 that I have for twenty five years. It has the vacuum diagram on the transfer case. Been following about using these in a FJ40 and have decided against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom