Split Hood Ornament On Non-Split Hood (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone drilled holes in their non split hood and attached the blade style chrome hood ornament from a split hood?

The shape of the hood is different. It could be done with enough work.

Why don't you just sell it to someone with a split hood that's missing one... Like me.

I am thinking about doing the same, I just had one re-chromed and it looks nice, I will make a mock up with a piece of cardboard to check if the lines will follow the newer style hood-before I drill holes, I just haven't gotten that far- just a thought

It would be nice to hear from someone that as done it and got their input:beer:

Why do this, because it looks cool, one of those great things Toyota let go by the wayside. It will not fit without some work, the split hoods were flat where the hood ornament went, the later hoods have a little fake hood ornament that sticks up just a little. I would still say worth a shot, love the look of the hood spear on them.

I put one on the hood of my old 45.

Don't recall it being a big deal, just some holes.

And yes, I was far cooler after it was installed.

only pic I could find...I keep it stored in my "why the f%$# did I sell it" file.

Sept07094.jpg

Last edited:
If you will look under your hood, you will find in the stiffing rib that runs down the center of your hood, 3 clearance holes that are already there for the socket to reach the nuts on the hood ornament. I have added that hood spear to 5 of the 12 L/C I have owned over the last 30 years. Never had a fitting issue. Just make sure you drill your holes correctly.:beer::beer::beer:

it is easy. it doesn't quite fit right, but i think it helps with the land cruiser look. added one to my 68/69/71/73/74/77/83 40 and would do it again if i had another non split hood
swalhill40.jpg

Thanks MUD!

I was thinking putting a piece of 1/8 Rubber under the ornament to fill any gaps and cut down on rusting and "wiggleage."

When I get around to the mod I will update this thread with pics.

In the mean time, anyone else have experience with this?

Pics?

What about buzzing the threaded studs off the hood spear and using some automotive emblem (double sticky) tape to install it? That said, what about the opposite -- no spear and filling in the seam on older style hoods?

when my son was 10 he put one on his bolens tractor along with toyota side emblems .still has it people wonder where he got a toyota garden tractor.

That said, what about the opposite -- no spear and filling in the seam on older style hoods?

Sounds like you guys need to trade hoods!

Pete

Anyone got/seen dimensions of the hood spear... In case someone were to want to make one.:D

Anyone got/seen dimensions of the hood spear... In case someone were to want to make one.:D
I have a couple bent up ones I was going to try to straighten to use on my project. I would be glad to send one to an aspiring fabber as a template if I was to get it back or a new, non-bent, facsimile there of.

Someone was machining them and selling them on Flea-Bay. Seems easy enough with the right equipment.

As for filling he valley of a split hood? That seems like a PITA for very little reward.

Billet ones can be bought for $55. I'm broke right now, and a hood ornament seems like a low priority at the moment.

I'll keep your offer in mind. It could be fun to fab one up... Even if purists can tell its a fake. Now to get back to work one of these days and borrow their milling machine.:hillbilly:

Billet ones can be bought for $55. I'm broke right now, and a hood ornament seems like a low priority at the moment.

I'll keep your offer in mind. It could be fun to fab one up... Even if purists can tell its a fake. Now to get back to work one of these days and borrow their milling machine.:hillbilly:

You can always make one out of wood, and aluminum tape...just to fill the space till you find one...would cost you, what...5 bucks???

You can always make one out of wood, and aluminum tape...just to fill the space till you find one...would cost you, what...5 bucks???

Although it would keep the water out of the engine compartment, it wouldn't be worth the effort. Carving one out of wood would take almost as much effort as machining it out of aluminum... besides, aluminum tape comes unglued when you try to buff it on the polisher.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom