Split Case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
When I bought my FJ40 about 5 years ago the guy gave me a 4 speedTrans/split case transfer unit. I have read that the split cases didn't come out until 1981 or 1982. Could someone tell me for sure what year these came out for whichever type of cruiser (FJ40, FJ60 etc...) or perhaps how to identify what year mine is by the numbers.

There is a nice toyota salvage yard with a few cruisers nearby and I want to offer to trade the trans unit for some parts like maybe a front axle or something, and I am trying to figure out how much it is worth before I go see him.

Thanks all.

Split case, came out in 1981 sometime(I would guess and say the same time the fj60 was brought out) both the fj40 and fj60(and fj62 but its somewhat different) got the split case. fj40 and fj60 cases were the same up untill late(5/85 I think) 1985 the difference is in the shaft(input??) diameter.

a latter split case is worth more than an earlier case, as it's easier to use for a H55F swap.....I believe.

FWIW my june(or is it lat of 82 fj40 has the split case.

if the t-case you have has a parking brake on the back then it's not a split case(but some non US split case did have the parking brake on the case)

and if it's a latter split case.....I might be interested in it or the trany and case together.

John H

I'm sure that it is a split case. There is no park brake on it. And it does have the rear flange indicating that there never was one on it. It may have come out of any cruiser of any year, I remember him saying something about a FJ55 (but that was 5 years ago).

About the Transmission Input shaft: I can tell you that it has a larger diameter of splines (same count just larger) than my 73 3 speed as my clutch disc for the 3 speed was too small for the 4speed, if that means anything.

"(FWIW my june(or is it lat of 82 fj40 has the split case.)"... What do you mean??

I have looked for numbers on the castings of both Trans and Tcase and have found nothing helpful. Do you know where the correct numbers are exactly? Maybe I can get those #'s and call Toyota.

If you are interested, they are still together as one unit, maybe we could work something out.

Thanks Jeremy A

It is not the input shaft that changes with the later model split cases. It is the idler shaft. The earlier ones had a 34mm idler and the later ones had the 38mm idler. Really either is easy to use with the H55F, in fact the earlier ones are a bit easier, no holes to tap and plug.

There is an excellent tech article on t-cases on the Ih8mud tech site... check it out!

-Kurt

It is not the input shaft that changes with the later model split cases. It is the idler shaft. The earlier ones had a 34mm idler and the later ones had the 38mm idler. Really either is easy to use with the H55F, in fact the earlier ones are a bit easier, no holes to tap and plug.

There is an excellent tech article on t-cases on the Ih8mud tech site... check it out!

-Kurt

I knew it was a shaft :G

John

...Thanks guys... ;)

All right, so other than taking it apart and measuring the idler shaft, is there any other ideas?

Kurt, there are many excellent tech articles here and I have researched pretty much all of them, but is there a specific one that you are referring to that might help me out?

Thanks again you guys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom