1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split case vacuum to manual swap

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by iron_giant, Mar 24, 2004.

1. iron_giant

iron_giant GOLD Star SILVER Star

i am seriously contemplating buying an H55 and split case. Both are rebuilt and the asking price is very fair. My only concern is that the transfer case is both vacuum and manual (hi is manual and lo is vacuum, i believe?) This will be planted into my 70 fj40 behind an f engine. My original 3 speed transfer is vacuum, but i'm guessing this vacuum setup will not work with the split case. ??? How dificult, and practical, if need be, is it to make the case completely manual?

And, on a side note, how much would the diesel B shaft cost for the h55 if ever I wanted to run a diesel?

thanks for helping out

-david

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Dave the vacuum solenoid and diapragm shift it in or out 4x4.A manual shifter changes it from hi to low.When you shift into low it will also engage the front diff(4x4).
    If your current vacuum set up has 2 hoses then you maybe able to use it with the new t/case
    If you want to go completely manual you can use the shifter off an earlier FJ60 or HJ75.Im fairly sure its a straight bolt up.All the HZJ75 and current model 78/79 use the manual shifter(its considered more reliable).

3. iron_giant

iron_giant GOLD Star SILVER Star

It has been brought to my attention that the diaphram on the h55 sticks out too far for the forty frame. Either the frame rail needs to be cut or the vacuum removed. The cases fit well with the wider sixty frame. Thank you for your help rosco.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">