Split case transfer into 4/80 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 4/80 BJ40 Aus spec with B engine, 4 speed H41 and single piece transfer.

I bought the vehicle off an old friend and the box and transfer is well worn. Noisey, leaks and had low oil when I got it.

Another friend has a spare H41 and split case from his 10/82 model HJ47 that is in good condition and would suit a clean up and seal rather than full over haul.

I would have to change bell housing to suit x-member mount I know that much.

Is it possible to make this swap? Both Aus spec transfers have the same handbrake on back of transfer. The later transfer gives me option of using reduction gears.

regards
Dave

Last edited:
Not really familiar with H41's but if you already have one installed, why would you need to change the bellhousing?

Not really familiar with H41's but if you already have one installed, why would you need to change the bellhousing?

I do not the BJ40/BJ42. I think your right about the Bellhousing. Mounting pattern stay the same. On the F engines 8/80 bellhousing was no longer used to support the engine to the frame. On the BJ40 I show a crossmember being used prior to 8/80. But I show the H41/H42 housing the same for the BJ/FJ/HJ. I know 8/80+ the housing was made for an isolator to bolt to the transmission housing. Where the earlier bolts not sure. If it's to the bottom of the bellhousing probably get away using that. I know the L bracket for the HJ47 crossmember are too short for a BJ40/BJ42.

The later H41/split transfer case combination is slightly shorter (less than 1/4 inch) than the earlier H41/single piece transfer case, but close enough so driveshaft changes aren't required.

H input shaft is different than a B input shaft it is not a direct swap unless you change the input shafts

Thank you all for the help.
So to summarize:

If I use my early bellhousing I can bolt the later H41 and split case up and use the original tailshaft and X-member.

With regards to the input shaft; is the difference in spline pattern only? This could be overcome by using an H clutch plate with B pressure plate and flywheel possibly?

No the B input shaft is longer and a finer splines. The H transmissions isn't larger than the B transmissions. The split transfer case is larger on both 8/80+. Input shaft has to be changed. Easier on the four speed than a H55F five speed.

Noted.

so change input shaft on the H41 and the rest will look after itself.

will proceed with that plan.

You will need to source a 8/80-10/85 B input shaft from either a H41 or H55F. The one from your 4/80 will not work. Neither will one from an H42. Some say 10/85+ will work but I'm not sure. Part number is different. I would search for a 10/82+ H55F from a BJ42 and use that. Heard the B input shaft is getting hard to find. About a year ago seen 83 BJ42 on Face Book that was a rust bucket for $3,000 AU dollar. Had a H55F. It was around Sidney. Too hard to figure out getting it to the US.

You will need to source a 8/80-10/85 B input shaft from either a H41 or H55F. The one from your 4/80 will not work. Neither will one from an H42. Some say 10/85+ will work but I'm not sure. Part number is different. I would search for a 10/82+ H55F from a BJ42 and use that. Heard the B input shaft is getting hard to find. About a year ago seen 83 BJ42 on Face Book that was a rust bucket for $3,000 AU dollar. Had a H55F. It was around Sidney. Too hard to figure out getting it to the US.
Many thanks. Can you please explain the difference in the early and late B input shafts?

Did a check and looks like the 10/82+ is when the part number changed. This may be because of the start of the five speed. I have found other parts that are the same but part number changed after 19/82. I would count the teeth on both input gears. If the same you can probably switch the input shaft. Compare them side by side. I have a H55F from a 83 BJ42RV out of Australia. My replacement input shaft is out of a HJ47. A lot more work to change input shaft on a five speed with the fifth gear outside the main case in the back. Four speed pull the front bearing for the counter shaft it drops enough to pull the input gear. Five speed it doesn't move. When pulling the input gear you have loose needle bearing where it rides on the output shaft. Make sure you keep track of those and don't end up loose inside the transmission. There are seventeen of them.

Great thank you. Really appreciate it.

Following up from previous queries:

Can I use a 8/80+ split case transfer on an pre 8/80H41 4 speed which previously had a single case transfer fitted?

If not; What would need to be changed?

Thank you
Dave

Following up from previous queries:

Can I use a 8/80+ split case transfer on an pre 8/80H41 4 speed which previously had a single case transfer fitted?

If not; What would need to be changed?

Thank you
Dave

no it will not work, it will not bolt to the trans and the input gear will not work with the transmission output shaft
you either need a 1 piece transfer case or a newer transmision to match the split case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom