1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split case to H55F questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dd113, Feb 4, 2004.

1. dd113

dd113

OK, I know that you have the small and large idler shaft cases. Seems like the split is 4/86 to the larger idler shaft.

Question #1:
    Even though the idler shafts are different will the HI/LOW gear assy interchange? The case itself is different but the innards should(?) be the same outside of the idler gears and shaft.

#2. The H55F requires the 4/84 or newer case to work correctly without the addition of the original 5spd TC bolts or an aftm repalcement. I assue this to be correct?

#3. The difference between the early, pre 4/85, and post 4/85 cases are the length of the spacer plate on the tranny which requires the longer bolts.

So, all things being equal, any 60 case will work if you can provide the longer bolts for the early model case and re tube the drive shafts to make up for the difference in lenght. The newer case will require no drive shaft mods and should bolt right up (with the required interior mods) and is stronger as well due to the larger idler shaft.

I think this is correct. Opinions?

2. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

The input gears also change but this happens early, I think 10/82 due to a different seal system. So the input gear from an early split case will not fit the later case.

You also need the oiler cup. Some say the early case can be modified to add it, but I haven't seen any pictures. The 5th gear oiler cup is present in 10/82 Aussie cases. They get 5 speeds much earlier than the rest.

I don't know about the hi-low gear cluster. If there are 2 different ratios (1.99 and 2.29, something like that) the gears would probably be different too.

Dave

3. dd113

dd113

Good point about the oiler cup. I see that CCOT sells it with their "kit" but who knows where to get it aftm? Is it a specific part or is it a generic cup?

4. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

I bet it is Toyota. It is a $1.75 part from the dealer.

Dave

5. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I have heard, but not tried, that you can use the rear housing and gears of the older transfer case on a newer transfer case. The front of the case (that bolts to the tranny) is different.
    I'm speaking from the BJ perspective. It doesn't necessarily apply to an FJ application.

6. lagwagon

lagwagon

One of my splitcases has the 5speed spacer but a 34mm idler shaft. I take it it's an '85.

7. dd113

dd113

[quote author=lagwagon link=board=1;threadid=11052;start=msg99626#msg99626 date=1075966770]
    One of my splitcases has the 5speed spacer but a 34mm idler shaft. I take it it's an '85.
    [/quote]

I havr the exact same thing from a 7/85. I had thought that the key to the swap was the larger idler shaft = H55F compatibiality (Sp?) but now I know that is wrong.

8. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

The 38mm idler came in in mid '86. There are many 34mm idler cases with the 5th gear oiler cup. The key is really the oiler cup.

Dave