Split Case Linkage stock or Twin Stick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys I need some help. I am in uncharted waters for myself. I decided to install a new 1UZFE engine, new H55 Transmission, and a new oem split case. I have all of these pieces, however I need shift lever linkage for the split case. Do I go with stock linkage and find some off of a donor FJ60? Or, do I go with a twin stick setup? Any thoughts on why one method is preferred over the other? I always go stock everything. Engine, ect.. This is a bit out of my comfort zone however I think the finished product will be amazing. Here is the link to my restoration thread.
1972 fj40 fst restoration.

Thanks

You find is hard to find a correct 40 series transfer case shifter for the H55F. But since your running a 60 series H55F Georg will probably have either. Have posted pictures in the past of the difference between the stock 40 and 60 series T case shift lever. You will be modifying the transmission shift cane as well if you buy that new. Besides being made for a wider cruiser those the transmission bolted to a 3F bellhousing that rotates the shift cane to the right. I currently have these shifters which will require very little modifying to work with a 40 series H55F.

IMG_20200224_131920851.jpg
IMG_20200224_131901031.jpg

Get creative.

20150505_193828.jpg

I went with the twin stick on the short H42/split I'm putting in my 67. I figured it gave me much more flexibility in final shifter position. I found the twin stick very easy to modify in my LS converted jeep.

You find is hard to find a correct 40 series transfer case shifter for the H55F. But since your running a 60 series H55F Georg will probably have either. Have posted pictures in the past of the difference between the stock 40 and 60 series T case shift lever. You will be modifying the transmission shift cane as well if you buy that new. Besides being made for a wider cruiser those the transmission bolted to a 3F bellhousing that rotates the shift cane to the right. I currently have these shifters which will require very little modifying to work with a 40 series H55F.

View attachment 2323119View attachment 2323122
How much do you want for your transfer case shifter and linkage?

How much do you want for your transfer case shifter and linkage?

These aren't for sale more of what is possible. This is a tech forum so just showing possiblies I found. Where the transmission cane is located will help decide what to do with the transfer lever. The transfer case shifter picture is using everything from a 40/60/70 series from the eighties. Would have to check next week what model 70 series the transfer lever is off of. Here is the picture showing both a different shifters from 4/85-7/87 FJ60 with a H42. Second from the bottom. This is the same as FJ60 with a H55F. The third from the bottom is from a 10/82+ 4X series with a H55F.
IMG_2810.JPG

Here is a shifter from a eighties 70 series.
P1060364.JPG

The transmission cane in both this post and my last are from RHD 70 series. Think a LHD might be even a little better but as of yet haven't located one.

Just to throw another stick in the mix. Pic below is the late 60 series t-case lever on left and 70 series lever also for manual split case on right, which is still available new, in case you need a lever that sits a little more forward.

R891xkWl.jpg

Not sure which one I used in the picture above. Have two different styles of 70 series levers. One using a different 4WD lever these bolts to actually moves the lever to the four speed location but would either need to skip the shift gate that prevent 2WD low or modify another one. Still searching for a different style gate that looks promising but haven't found yet.

Not sure which one I used in the picture above. Have two different styles of 70 series levers. One using a different 4WD lever these bolts to actually moves the lever to the four speed location but would either need to skip the shift gate that prevent 2WD low or modify another one. Still searching for a different style gate that looks promising but haven't found yet.

The bottom-most lever looks like a 61/62 or 70 series vacuum t-case lever.

Manual split-case variant 36110-6E181 (New from Toyota currently) contains a slightly longer...an inch maybe?)) 2-4 selector rod. I utilized the later 70 series lever (36302-60180) and it bypassed the shift gate and gave me the room needed to clear as is. Now this wouldn't be necessary if the 2-4 selector rod was swapped for the 60 variant (36313-60050) in picture below.

Is this necessary for a 40? Only if you are fiddling with new/used t-cases and trying to decide which would give you the clearance needed. Just wanted to voice the bits I've ran into so far on split-cases.

X7UIRdgl.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom-most lever looks like a 61/62 or 70 series vacuum t-case lever.

Manual split-case variant 36110-6E181 (New from Toyota currently) contains a slightly longer...an inch maybe?)) 2-4 selector rod. I utilized the later 70 series lever (36302-60180) and it bypassed the shift gate and gave me the room needed to clear as is. Now this wouldn't be necessary if the 2-4 selector rod was swapped for the 60 variant (36313-60050) in picture below.

Is this necessary for a 40? Only if you are fiddling with new/used t-cases and trying to decide which would give you the clearance needed. Just wanted to voice the bits I've ran into so far on split-cases.

X7UIRdgl.jpg

Curious what series you are dealing with? Adding a inch to the shaft will pivot the lever back and more vertical. Probably not something you would want to do on a 40 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom