Spinny thingy time! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the plan for the intake didnt really work out as hoped. I was going to try and keep the stock air cleaner and mod it. I didnt take into account the PS resi or how far forward the turbo sits. So i ordered a few pieces and ripped this up. Cone filters arent the best but it will do for now. Also took it for a rip around the block and WOW is all i can say.

Nice! Have you considered a Donaldson filter mounted on the fender, and a snorkel? Or do you want to keep it stock looking on the outside? That is how our Turbo'd HJ47 is done, for the exact same reason.

I have considered a snorkel. Can you post a pic of your setup im curious now

Im after a turbo badge same as this if anyone has an old one kicking around.

upload_2018-2-7_20-32-34.png

upload_2018-2-7_20-33-9.png

These aren't ours, but they would give you an idea at any rate. I could take pics of ours in the daylight. TheHJ47 plumbs to the opposite side, but similar in concept anyway. There are lots of types of them, so you could mount the snorkel up the windshield on some I think. But it gives you Turbo room & good filtering, and you can put one of those cyclonic tops on too if you want.
upload_2018-2-7_20-32-34.png
upload_2018-2-7_20-33-9.png

Im after a turbo badge same as this if anyone has an old one kicking around.

Good luck! If you find some, we'd take two as well! We couldn't even get an EU company to part with used ones, because they are that hard to come by apparently.

Yah i figured they were pretty hard to come by. Ill keep scouring my sources haha

the Donaldson is much smaller than stock, so you could maybe mount one inside the engine bay & then plumb out to a regular snorkel. It doesn't really matter where the, "filtering" takes place, so long as the filter is getting clean air first. Heck, if you have skills, you could probably even weld up tubes to mount it under the truck, between frame rails, and then just weld the tube back up & out the fender for a snorkel.

I have thought of building some type of container and holder under the hood then tying into a snorkel

We could measure the filter housing ours tomorrow & give you rough idea. Not sure about Canada, but we get filters for ours at Napa without batting an idea (Napa Gold). Decent filters, has a dust/particulate separator built in, waterproof gasket so you could mount low as long as you seal the air inlet part.

Took it for a legit shakedown run this morning. Found a oil leak coming from the fitting on the block for the oil feed. Dummy me forgot teflon tape on that one haha. All fixed not.

I was only able to pull 6lbs of boost roughly (seems like it should be alot more). She sure gets up to 100kph in a hurray also. Much nicer on the highway. The driving video is kinda choopy so i didnt upload it.

EGT never got above 1000deg at 100kph also i think thats good

With egts like that id say your pretty safe unless you add more fuel. Its always tuff to gauge engine power when adding a turbo on a diesel because folks talk boost numbers cus its really the only thing you can measure that relates to power output.....sort of. On a gas engine boost and fuel go hand in hand but diesels don't obey tight air fuel ratios, like gas engines have to, so boost often can be irrelevant by itself. 6lbs of boost at 1000F is quite safe. Increase fuel more and you will need to increase boost to keep egts in check. Fiber head gasket and more boost can lead to premature failure. Id keep it under 12lbs unless you have a head gasket replacement scheduled in the future. Good thing to put on the top of the to do list especially if you haven't done the pre cups. Get two birds with one stone.
Enjoy!
g

Yah ill prob just leave it as is for now.

Next step is putting bucket seats in the rear for my girls. Have to fab up a bunch of stuff i was 3 point belts for them

So i had a chance to turn the fuel up a bit. I have the HAC on it so once i figured out how to i turned it up 1/4 turn and noticed some difference. I was hitting 800F at 6-7lbs of boost that blasting around in the snow in 3rd gear going 60kph i figure that would be lower when im into 4th on a nice 100kph run on the highway. Thing is its hard to check here in sask we really have no hills close by haha. Man is this thing fun in the snow haha. Got 12" in the last 24hrs so i had to go play a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom