Spent $2499.00 on LC in last 11K miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess it's about age and mileage. At around 125K miles I started replacing things like belts, hoses, wires, shocks, MP3 player, etc. Now at 136K I think I am through for awhile but I just added it all up and it comes to $2499.00. That's 25% of the value of my LC. Now I was wanting to get a 2000 Lexus LX470 but I kinda shot myself in the foot taking such good care of my LC over the last 10K miles. If I trade/sell and get the LX470 I am out a big portion of that $2500, man I will now feel like an idiot if I don't keep it and drive it for at least a year trying to get some of the good out of my investment. Problem is with 136K miles on the old LC something else could break and I would have to invest more. With all this talk about birfields and head gaskets going south, I don't feel safe from future expense. What would you guys do???

I always look at these trucks as having service humps. Those peek times when a lot just seems to group up and hit at once. Your just cresting that hump I think. Now probably coast for quite a while once the axle is taken care of. No comment on the other ::).

SELL IT FAST!!!

136K is just at the brink of the abyss. The key indicator is when the shocks and mp3 player need to be replaced.

I'll give you 7k for it.

Stick with the 80 but save up some cash for a new LC. When the time is right buy a 100. Trading in an 80 in my case is probably the stupidest thing I can do right now becuase I feel the truck is dependable and you can't replace that feeling, therefore making the truck priceless. When you go off-roadin you can use the 80 and not f-up the 100. If you put in $2.5k already you should feel safe from future expenses other than the norm. As long as you keep changing the oil the chances of blowing your head gasket is going to be less likely. So stick with the 80 and get the 100 when you get the cash. Good Luck,

- Sammy J

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg127659#msg127659 date=1080344654]
With all this talk about birfields and head gaskets going south, I don't feel safe from future expense. What would you guys do???
[/quote]

Forgive me for laughing to myself, but was it not you that decided to perform the ultimate birf experiment?

If you want advise, I'd service your front axle and ride out the potential storm ::) I guess I wouldn't worry about the HG unless you got crud in your cooling system (I know it's not a certified diagnosis, but it would make me worry).

Tom

Um,

Well, .......How much of that 25 hun-ski would you have saved if you would have crawled out of the old golf cart and got yer sandwich clamps a bit greasy? ::)

For example, you can do your 1200 buck axle job for less than 300 bucks IF you get greasy.......... :flipoff2:

Do the Topflites really hook if there is a spot of molly on them? ;)

D-

Pit, I was kinda wondering the same as CDan. Plugwires ($70), belts ($25), hoses ($70), shocks ($98) and I'll allow ya $250 for a nice MP3 player. So, thats $513? What did you do with the other two clams?? Or, can I be your personal mechanic??

DougM

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg127763#msg127763 date=1080360661]
Pit, I was kinda wondering the same as CDan. Plugwires ($70), belts ($25), hoses ($70), shocks ($98) and I'll allow ya $250 for a nice MP3 player. So, thats $513? What did you do with the other two clams?? Or, can I be your personal mechanic??

DougM
[/quote]

Doug I did more than you mentioned :), plus I did not spare the expense OME Shocks and Stablizer (example) MP3 $400 and I don't play golf, I spend all my time in the gym pumping iron (that way I don't need a floor jack or breaker bar). I have a mechanic for the stuff I don't want to do. Could of saved money if I would of done it all myself, but it might not be running now. Knowing me I will be driving a 2000 LX470 within the next couple of months and someone will get a great used 80. I will follow-up to see how long the birfields last :) You guys really know how to bust a guys chops. :flipoff2: But I know I deserve it :cheers:

Heh. The 100s are incredible machines. Smooth, powerful and composed on the road. Can't go wrong with that.

Doug

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg127769#msg127769 date=1080361565]
Knowing me I will be driving a 2000 LX470 within the next couple of months and someone will get a great used 80.
[/quote]

You're more likely to get some of that $2500 back out of it if you sell it yourself. (providing you have all the maintenance records). There's always another 470 around.

Uh, well Pitbull, you made your own decision to buy crap like the MP3 player. You could have replaced the stock radio just for asking or paying shipping probably. I just sent my old one out to some dude last week free of charge.

Yes, if you knew you were about to sell it, then you did some stupid things. Hey, it's true. If you didn't know, then obviously you don't NEED one today or tomorrow. Keep the 80 for awhile, or admit to making some not-so-thought out decisions and buy the 100.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg128047#msg128047 date=1080443553]
Uh, well Pitbull, you made your own decision to buy crap like the MP3 player. You could have replaced the stock radio just for asking or paying shipping probably. I just sent my old one out to some dude last week free of charge.

Yes, if you knew you were about to sell it, then you did some stupid things. Hey, it's true. If you didn't know, then obviously you don't NEED one today or tomorrow. Keep the 80 for awhile, or admit to making some not-so-thought out decisions and buy the 100.
[/quote]

I still have the OEM Stereo w/CD it works great, just wanted the MP3 player because my wife has around 700 CD's and she makes me custom MP3's with around 180 of my favorite songs on one MP3. Kinda neat. No I fiqured I would keep the 80 when I was doing the hump repairs, then the wife out of no where got offered a great job that she loves and now I have all of this extra money, so I figured I should by a used 100/LX470 with around 45-60K miles. That way I get it for half of the original list and should be able to drive it for 90K miles. I would think the 100 series should be good for 150K miles with no major problems. Since I'm a mall cruiser I like the idea of more luxury and power that the 100/LX470 will provide.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg128102#msg128102 date=1080449384]
Then dump the 80 and the wife and get the 100. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

I need her to pay for the 100 :D :cheers:

So have her pay cash for it, then dump her. Then fix anything wrong with it, upgrade it, then dump it too and buy a newer one.

I think we should be talking to the wife instead and give her some options!

I'm still keep looking at and considering the new Forerunner. The more I look at it the more it looks like a smaller lighter less luxury appointed 04 Landcruiser. 0-60 around 7.4 seconds which is over 20% quicker than the Landcruiser and the X-reas shock system on the sport's model is very similar to the off road race set-ups that are real high $$$. Toyota is going to have to upgrade the next generation Landcruiser to further separate it from the rest of their SUV line.

I have provided some suspension components for the new 4Runner to repair collision damage. Many of the part numbers are "600" series. that indicates "Land Cruiser" usage. It appears that this vehicle is sharing chassis components with some Land Cruisers (not 100 series though, as the 4Runner has 6 lug wheels).

The new 4runner is essentially a Land Cruiser though, isn't it? The 120 series or Prado, something like that in other parts of the world??

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=13770;start=msg128284#msg128284 date=1080496605]

I have provided some suspension components for the new 4Runner to repair collision damage. Many of the part numbers are "600" series. that indicates "Land Cruiser" usage. It appears that this vehicle is sharing chassis components with some Land Cruisers (not 100 series though, as the 4Runner has 6 lug wheels).
[/quote]

Dan, I know the engine, transmission, transfer case is shared. Do you know what chassis components are shared? Do you know what the difference in the frame are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom