1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedweek at Bonneville

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dieselcruiserhead, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Yesterday I was treated to an awesome event.. Good friend has a buddy from Kentucky who built a car for Bonneville Speed week about 4 years ago and has been running it there since then. Comes all the way out, from Kentucky, for this event every year. I had lightly heard about it but had ***no idea** what it was about, and both how cool and how nuts it is!

Anyway, not sure of the numbers but there are about 500 official entrants I hear. My guess is 2000-3000 people, maybe more? They each come out, for the most part to break prexisting land speed record for their class of automobile.. I saw some pretty wild s***... I was only there one day but snapped over 150 photos! Two courses, one which is 4 miles long, and is the qualifier for the second course, which is 5 miles long and you have to qualify on course one at over 175 mph to run on course 2.

So it is pretty wild.. Basically nut jobs from all over the place build custom cars and bikes and whatever specifically for this track and for this week. Then they come, from all over, California, Maine, UK, you name it.. And race whatever they built here, trying to break the previous record for their category. There are dozens of different categories, pretty neat to see it all. It is also hotrodder's heaven.. All this is sort of new for me, I don't really know any hot rodders so it sure was cool to see it all if you ask me..

So here are some photos:

The Salt Flat, and the group of people way out there on the massive flats...

2. Relix

Relix

3. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Sorry computer crashed...

Anyway, here is the vehicle we were with.. A guy from Kentucky who owns a mechanics shop there.. Vehicle is an old 1950's design salt flat racer made out of a fuel tank from a jet. They are called "drop tank cars." Powered by a 240 hp Honda S2000 engine. Top speed should be about 228 mph but it topped out right at about 201 because of not enough HP. Whole thing built as light as possible, weighed maybe 1800 lbs?

4. hodag

hodag

After seeing "Worlds Fastest Indian" and hearing my dad talk about Art Arfons and Mickey Thompson, it is high on my list of events to attend one day.

The belly tank racers are f'n insane.

Hodag

5. Jman

Jman

Sixty years of progress, and you only gained 51 mph on this? :flipoff2:

[​IMG]

The tank racer looks cool. :cool: I guess that would be kind of hard to make street legal? Or would it? Can you take an Ariel Atom on the streets here in the US?

6. Relix

Relix

Slap a turbo charger on the beast....

7. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Agreed.. I guess it has an out of the box tune, nothing special believe it or not.. He is there all week so I imagine he will have some goodies on it! Yes I need to see that flick too.. I guess they have been there for over 50 years.. What a neat culture, and seriously old school! Anyway, my computer has been having problems (that I think I finally resolved) partly because of this latest patch that just came for Windows.. So I can post again..

Anyway, all photos here, about 150 of them:
    http://www.shoumatoffmedia.com/raceweek

More photos:

This was a pretty sick bike with TWO hardey davidon motors.. Not sure how fast it ended up going... It was in the over 175mph line...
    [​IMG]

sweet old school corvette also in the over 175 mph line..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a badass Alfra Romeo all wheel drive that had a sticker on it that said "the fastest Alfa Romeo on the planet.." We heard his trial on the radio.. 200.. 210, new record for his class, 219 mph!
    [​IMG]

8. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

It was pretty cool, a lot of these were even full figured and were even able to get up to that over 175 mark.. The coolest were the diesels, I thought of course...

Another full bodied rid out there, also in the over 175 mph line...
    [​IMG]

This guy got in the low 200s.. This one is also built for the salt flats only... It is also early in the week, I believe he was capable of getting up into the high 200s even the 300s? This was a mean, mean sounding engine.. I believe he was also running nitrous if I remember correctly...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Cummins turbo diesel.. All the diesels left deep, long rooster tails of diesel fuel.. Pretty awesome... This one I think got in the mid-high 200s.....

[​IMG]

This was a man after my own heart of course.. When they announced it I could not stop laughing my ass off.. "1986 2WD Toyota pickup.." ..with a big rig diesel, trans, and rear axle strapped to it.. He got up to 230 mph...
    [​IMG]

the diesel flying off into the sunset...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there were a bunch of ethanol vehicle out there too that GM sent out there / sponsored... They were all under the badge "eco-tech"
    [​IMG]

The yellow diesel streamliner, also shooting off...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

11. crushr

crushr

Very Cool. How fast was the fastest Land Cruiser there?

12. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Probably 60, if there was one.. :eek: Me and my friend Damon were there and are cruiserheads.. Cruisers did not get much respect, in fact the least I have ever heard.. Of course these guys love american for the most part!

13. patpend2000

patpend2000

Actually the alfa is rear wheel drive, I was there last year with the team, there's been a lot of development into that engine.

14. 82-SOA-60

82-SOA-60

Holy s*** dude! I was there.

Here is the truck we ran...

Did you happen to see the Burkland streamliner go 410?

15. 82-SOA-60

82-SOA-60

This is the Diesel we used to run.

16. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I could get seriously addicted to high speed diesels. Curse you and your tempting ways! :D

17. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Too cool, I saw your rig run! I thought it was super cool that you guys were running that era chevy, fully bodied and all.. And I believe on the big course too, correct? I did not see the 410... UN REAL...

18. 82-SOA-60

82-SOA-60

Yep that was our first run on the long course. Both of our drivers are now licensed for the long course. We may be back in October for the worlds.

A few years ago I got to see , Al teague, Don Vesco and Nolan White all go over 400 in the same meet. Truely an amazing feat.

Our old truck "The Phoenix" holds the Unlimited Diesel truck record at 272 and some change with a top speed of 285. Not bad for a 20,000lb 1943 International.

19. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Tractor pull .. :grinpimp: I thought is an awesome idea with those diesel trucks .. :D

just wondering !

20. jb welda

jb welda

re: land cruiser reception on the salt flats:

actually ive had a lot of nice comments on my fj60 when ive had it parked out on the salt.

but one of the most fun things about bonneville is to proceed along the base of the mountains and then go up some of the trails. very interesting up there. be sure to avoid the meth labs though, some of them guys arent thinking straight for some reason.

one love
    jah bill

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">