Speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Speedometer Head Question . I have a 66 FJ 40 and when I installed the speedo cable there is a loud grinding sound at speeds over 30 mph. Local mechanic suggests a new speedometer head. Rebuild or replace? Recommendations sincerely appreciated as to approach and vendors.
Thanks

Speedometer Head Question . I have a 66 FJ 40 and when I installed the speedo cable there is a loud grinding sound at speeds over 30 mph. Local mechanic suggests a new speedometer head. Rebuild or replace? Recommendations sincerely appreciated as to approach and vendors.
Thanks

Spend some time on the forum here and research how to remove the cluster and speedometer. It's really quite simple. I had mine out over the past weekend from my '69 to clean the odometer and install a new speedo cable. Everything works as it should now and my 40 has 000000 miles on it! The speedo gears are likely plastic, mine were. They looked in very good shape, except they were gummed up with old grease or from oil residue that travelled up the speedo cable to the speedometer from the t-case attachment.

Removal and reinstallation & attachment of the speedometer cable will absolutely test your patience and sanity if you're hands are anywhere near normal size. If you have bear paws, I suggest finding a child or woman to assist. Also, removing the drivers seat helps you get into place to get a good view on what you're doing behind the dash in regards to speedo cable removal & reattachment.

Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the cluster.

IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3191.jpg
IMG_3192.jpg

Thank you! My fear is that roar I was hearing is the sound of big pieces of plastic becoming little pieces and small pieces of metal going bye bye.
I will do as suggested. Thanks again!

Thank you! My fear is that roar I was hearing is the sound of big pieces of plastic becoming little pieces and small pieces of metal going bye bye.
I will do as suggested. Thanks again!
Work over a big soft towel. That way when little pieces drop, they don't bounce into another dimension of reality. A tip of the hat to @pinhead and his carb rebuilding videos for that trick

A new speedometer cable is also only a couple big macs, may as well replace it if the age of the one you have is unknown.

@JVZii knows some stuff about repairing these clusters.

devo
Thank you! I’ll confess that I tend to shy away from anything I can’t adjust with a hammer which includes everything electrical. The other functions of the cluster work and the Speedo works up to about 30 and then a really loud noise . It is so bad that I have to disconnect it. Speedo cable is new. The odometer doesn’t work. Ideally I’d like to fix both . As suggested I am going to try to educate myself so that I can benefit from advice. My level of knowledge and my Speedo are both at ‘0’

The sound is usually a dry or worn out sleeve in the speedometer head. There is a bushing that the cable screws into that gets dry or loose and then it will make that very alarming noise. (The shaft is binding at higher speeds)

I have had some luck taking the speedo completely apart and cleaning and lubricating it all. But it's 50/50 at best.

These 2 pics show the bushing and shaft that you need to get to.

IMG_20220319_165300__01.jpg
IMG_20220319_165251__01.jpg

If you are a get a bigger hammer guy and don't want to mess with this. Drop me a pm. I can hook you up with a replacement or repair what you have.

Jack

The sound is usually a dry or worn out sleeve in the speedometer head. There is a bushing that the cable screws into that gets dry or loose and then it will make that very alarming noise. (The shaft is binding at higher speeds)

I have had some luck taking the speedo completely apart and cleaning and lubricating it all. But it's 50/50 at best.

These 2 pics show the bushing and shaft that you need to get to.

View attachment 2957016View attachment 2957017

If you are a get a bigger hammer guy and don't want to mess with this. Drop me a pm. I can hook you up with a replacement or repair what you have.

Jack
Hey, if I were to cry like a 9 year old girl would you help me figure out mine?
it seems like the shaft wobbles and fails to engage the little plastic gears when I took it apart to clean out the 50 year old glue.

Thanks for the shout out I am glad I was able to help. We need a pic 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom