Speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pardon the number of posts, newby and just got this thing.........

My speedometer is shot, fuel and amp work, but nothing else. Vehicle is a Jan 1972. I have found a 1978 very reasonable, believed to be in working condition, I know that one has temp and fuel gauges swapped, also is it 24V? If 24 V, can i account for that like a person would do at home going from 120 to 240 w another hot? Hoping it works as the price is very good.

speedo is shot? what does that mean?
several changes between 72 and 78
and changing from 24 - 12 may not be worth it

there's this guy in Helena who may have the correct vintage cluster.

Last edited:
speedo is shot? what does that mean?
several changes between 72 and 78
and changing from 24 - 12 may not be worth it

there's this guy in Helena who may have the correct vintage cluster.
my assumption would be that I need a new cluster, no needles present on 3 of the 5 gauges, unless that is not really a problem........

I think I found the answer........ I think the 24 volt were for BJ40's and the move from to 50 amp from 30 was in 79. So as long as this one wasn't diesel and is a 78 i should be able to make it work.

78 would have a barrel connector on it with a circuit board, I'm thinking the 72 is all wired direct.
the 78 has the turn signal lights in the cluster, the 72 is in the dash.

2 things;
No needles present, have you taken the bezel off the front to verify the needles aren’t just pushed out of view? If that’s even possible.
Speedo issue may be cable related or otherwise, not necessarily the speedometer itself.
Post a pic of yours.

2 things;
No needles present, have you taken the bezel off the front to verify the needles aren’t just pushed out of view? If that’s even possible.
Speedo issue may be cable related or otherwise, not necessarily the speedometer itself.
Post a pic of yours.
deal on the $100 parts including speedometer fell through....... guy thought i was local and didn't take paypal or cards......... FJ is in shop today getting checked over by my mechanic.......planning on pulling the speedometer and testing it when it gets back

You can undo both ends of the Speedo cable and spin one end and see if the other end spins. Then hook up the gauge end and spin it with a drill from t case end.

You can undo both ends of the Speedo cable and spin one end and see if the other end spins. Then hook up the gauge end and spin it with a drill from t case end.

if turning from the transfer case end, drill needs to be in reverse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom