Speedometer suddenly changed. What's going on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Speedometer has read 10% slow since I put 33's on, until the other day. Now it reads fast (reading 35 mph when I'm actually going 25 mph).
I do have the oil migration issue between the TC and tranny, but recently corrected the amounts in each.

Anybody else had this problem with the speedo?

You might check the condition of the plastic speedo gear where the cable goes into the Tcase.

May simply be wearing out. Original speedometer in my 60 lasted ca. 450k miles before it died. For a number of tens of thousands of miles prior to death it would read ca. 10 mph fast, odometer remained solid.

With the old speedo I could push the 60 to about 75 and the needle would be buried beyond 85 on the gauge. Then I could squint and imagine that my FJ60 was a really fast Land Cruiser.

I’ve had two speedometers malfunction, both read ok speed wise, but the odometer quit past the tens position. The trip odometer worked fine. Thankfully had one in a parts truck so now I have low miles, under 200k haha

Hey! Any of you guys know how to Madison?

Sick part is when I was at University, I worked at an 'Art House' movie theatre in Newport Beach that played 'Rocky Horror' twice on Friday and Saturday and I had to work all those shows... I can still fv<kin' recite those damn lyrics and dialogue backwards. At least there were a lot of cuties who wanted to dress like Little Nell... And dudes who wanted to dress like Tim Curry ...

Sorry for the OT trip...

Sick part is when I was at University, I worked at an 'Art House' movie theatre in Newport Beach that played 'Rocky Horror' twice on Friday and Saturday and I had to work all those shows... I can still fv<kin' recite those damn lyrics and dialogue backwards. At least there were a lot of cuties who wanted to dress like Little Nell... And dudes who wanted to dress like Tim Curry ...

Sorry for the OT trip...
Did you have to sweep up all the toast off the floor? I heard that was a thing.

Speedo was running accurate for several miles running river shuttle yesterday. Then on the return trip settled back to where it is supposed to read at 10% slow. Mercury is direct (not retrograde), so some other magic is at work, I'm guessing oil migration. 109° Friday, 107° yesterday, I'm not feeling inclined to remedy this. At least it's shady under there.

Did you have to sweep up all the toast off the floor? I heard that was a thing.

Toast was the least of it, and everything was wet! Every time Susan Sarandon cried the idiots would squirt super-soakers in the air! Once and awhile the management would have sing-along nights and they'd turn the sound off on the movie and people dressed as the characters would jump on stage and act (scream) out the parts...

And the whole theatre smelled like a Marijuana dispensary. I think I still get flashbacks from all the second-hand buzzes I got.

And the funny part was the Manager/Owner was the biggest Orange County Reagan Republican I ever saw, but hey, show was a goldmine. Candy and Popcorn flew off the shelves.

Last edited:

Sorry for the OT trip...
I randomly wound up livin on Newport Beach right behind the fire pits in 2004.... Was a fantastic spot!!!

I randomly wound up livin on Newport Beach right behind the fire pits in 2004.... Was a fantastic spot!!!

Yup. I lived right there on the Balboa Peninsula and worked a couple hundred yards away at the Balboa Theater. This was in the early 80s though, by '85 I was back in Los Angeles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom