Speedometer/Odometer recalibration? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search but came up with nada. I'm assuming because we have mechanical devices, there is nothing we can do to recalibrate them for new gears/tires other than swapping for electrical units.

Is that right?

Anyone out there make gears to swap out and get these more accurate?

FYI I'm off by 13%.

thx

Robert

A speedo shop can change the speedo calibration somewhat, but you need a gearbox to change both. I've never seen one for an FJ but have an old one for a Chevy van: it attached to the tranny & had gears you could swap to get the correct reading.

There are a few differnet speedo gears for the split case. That may help.

Yes, there are gear correction boxes that change the speedo cable speed by 5%, 10%, etc.

Real speedo shops used to test the speedo and install the correction box. Those shops are just about extinct now.

Here's a thread showing the speedo gear correction box, and the name of the shop that still sells it:
Mechanical Speedo Correction Box - Install with Pics - YotaTech Forums

Last edited:
Id been interested in this too- thanks for the link

If I remember right cruiserparts had a replacement plastic gear with +/- teeth for correction?

Thanks Jim. Part of the solution at least. What about the odometer?

fliphkd778 - they do have 2 gears 6x17 and 6x18. I have no idea what changes they'd yield. There is no description on their site. Same question re: odometer applies.

Robert

I called a place one time (not the one in the link), they said they could make a calibration box that would fix the speedometer/ odometer. I can't remember the exact name. Quoted somewhere around $100 for it.

I found this place through a Google search, click on Repairs and Calibration and have fun!

United Speedometer Service. Sales, repair & calibration of instruments and gauges. Featuring Encore Gauges, VDO Performance Instruments, Stewart Warner Instruments, Rostra Cruise Control

With my 60 I just don't see the point in fixing it, It has gone over 14,000 without it, and if I'm ever curious I'll just do the math, But for now it can continue to rack up the miles :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom