Speedometer not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 1FZE. A343F transmission. 160,000 miles.
I was wheeling down in Mexico and suddenly lost my speedometer. Shortly after this it threw a check engine light and the code was P0500 indicating a bad sensor. I replaced one of the two speed sensors, no luck. Replaced the other speed sensor (both on the transfer case), no luck. I saw on this forum that some have had issues with the electronics in the gauge cluster. I removed my gauge cluster and there is no evidence of cooked electronics. I’m looking for the next steps in troubleshooting. Maybe a short in the wiring?

How do I properly test the existing wiring at the connection point for each of the 2 sensors.

Probably not related but the day before this happened my rig was not properly downshifting from 2nd to 1st when under heavy load. I’d have it in 2nd and get momentum to climb a sand dune. On some of the climbs I’d drop it into 1st as the engine was bogging down but it wouldn’t downshift. It shifted fine under all other conditions including the 4 hour drive home. I’ll be researching that next but for now trying to get the speedometer back.

Any help is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom