Speedometer help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud
I have an issue with my '93 fzj80 that has stumped me and my mechanic. The speedometer and odometer do not work. There is a speedometer specialty shop about an hour from me, but even they have limited experience with mechanical odometers. I am located in Lawrence, KS. Can anyone recommend someone remotely close to me that may be able to help me out? Or could anyone take a look at it for me? I am very determined to get it working again.

Thanks,

Jonah

Sorry, should have clarified earlier. After all of the electrical testing needed, the issue is in the cluster/speedometer itself. I'm not necessarily looking for advice, just someone to fix the darn thing.

Sorry, should have clarified earlier. After all of the electrical testing needed, the issue is in the cluster/speedometer itself. I'm not necessarily looking for advice, just someone to fix the darn thing.
If it was me, I'd go through the troubleshooting first, then if that didn't work, I'd get another cluster.

Check with @cjmoon as he has some I think.

You'll need one from a 93-94.

Heck, I may have one in my box of parts, but I don't know if it's good or bad.

I just went through this with my '93. I did a bunch of searching on here and ended up testing the VSS and VSS wiring. Both were fine. Another factor was whether or not the cruise control worked. Mine didn't work, but I read on here that meant my wiring was bad. But it wasn't, as I'd verified it worked. So then I pulled the cluster and found this.

20211002_194418.jpg

So I tested it with a multimeter and soldered cat6 wire where the contacts were broken.

20211002_233807.jpg

I verified my VSS and VSS wiring were good before I took apart the cluster and I'd recommend doing the same. Taking apart the cluster is pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom