Speedometer gear help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1977 FJ55 all stock...... Ok so when I bought the pig the speedo didnt work. Which I was ok with due to the cable housing being broken in two. I figured I'd just replace the cable... well after working out other bugs I finally get around to working on the speedo. I cant find a cable anywhere. So I will need to order it. I cant wait for it so I decide to just work on what I have. I trimed the cable housing and then used a short piece of fuel line which fit snuggly over the cable housing. I measured it to the right length and then inspected the cable, cleaned and put some lube on it. Installed the cable and then took her for a drive. NADA... nothing. So I figure maybe I just didnt get the thing tight enough on the tcase.... thats happened in the past... so I get out and use pliars to snug it down... get back in the pig.... NADA... nothing again... so I figure maybe the gauge is hosed... I bust out the drill and try it.... works fine.... so now I'm back to the speedometer gear inside the tcase..... I do the tire spin test and the key isnt even moving.... hmmm... ok I'll just remove the gear and inspect it.... unbolt the lockplate and try to remove the gear.... Nope it aint moving.... so I try to force it out... nope... still not moving... hmmm? Now this is where I get stuck... It doesnt show anything in my manual... and I dont have the fsm for the drivetrain or the 2F.... and I cant find my set of 60 series FSM manuals... I think the wife packed them away... and in all the years I have owned cruisers I have never had the need to remove the speedo gear... I thought it just came out like on other types of trucks I have worked on... but Im not about to break anything...

So this is where I can use some help..... How in the living hell do you get this dam thing out? I've been trying to get it out for an hour now.. is there some sorta trick to removing it? This has never been an issue on any other truck.

There's a lock plate you have to remove first. Then, you might loosen it using a screwdriver in the slot for the lock plate. I've never had trouble changing them out.

I removed the bolt with the lock plate.... thats why I cant understand why it is not coming out. every other one i have changed out just pops right off.

Aluminum speedo gear holder with an oring, into a STEEL housing...

Corrosion happens man...

Put a LARGE prydriver in the groove for the tab retainer, and pop it out.... done deal.

Yup, I was thinking that O Ring is your problem, along with some corrosion. You need a longer lever!

ok... let me go and rip it out... thanks... i just didnt want to break anything just incase toyota had some different way of doing things....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom