Speedometer Driven Gear P/N (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks JVZii, snow gone and removed from storage and odo works with the gear he supplied, 1968 FJ40, three speed manual.

But, speedo and odo indications are 10% high. I would like to change to a 19 tooth driven gear. Searching this forum, I believe the P/N is 33403-69135.

Can anyone verify if this is correct, and a possible source?

Will stop at the Toyota dealer this week to see of they can order one.

I do not show that number used on a 40 series. Looks to be later on with an automatic transmission. What is your current count of teeth on the driven gear? I show 17 teeth on the 3/69 in the US. I show 18 starting 1/79 when diff gearing switched from 4.11:1 to 3.70:1. I also show 16 and 17 driven gears using a different drive worn gear than the 1/79+ 18 tooth driven gear. This is more than just math, gear pitch matters as well. Nylon driven gears do not last long mated to the wrong drive worm gear pitch. If you find a 19 teeth driven gear would locate a 1/79-7/80 drive gear. I have a 3/79 FJ40 but some previous owner that it would be a good idea to switch to a 74 transfer case. It was believed the early four speed transfer case used the same gearing as the three speed transfer case. But truth is just used narrower gears like the three speed. Gears for low range were wider but also the same gearing as the 4/75-7/80 transfer case.

Most are usually looking to speed up the speedometer because of tire size. Do you have lower gearing in the diffs than the standard 4.11:1 used in 68? Hard to believe running smaller diameter tires than stock and unless looking for a low rider.

Last edited:
Specter Offroad sells speedo gears with different tooth numbers - which you can use to correct for tires size and get the speedo to display your actual speed

or just could use the mental speed calculation function your brain was endowed with ;)

a previous owner used the correct speedo for 33" tires that were on my 40 when I bought it - but now that I run 315s, I'll eventually install another gear thingie . . . (which I already have sitting on some shelf . . . )

I do not know what the previous owner did regarding tires or diff. ratios. When I sourced tires, I went with the same revs./mile as original, at least I thought so.

I know with GM vehicles, there are numerous driven gears for a given drive gear, not familiar with Toyota.

The current gear is 17 tooth.

Will try a transmission shop, perhaps the driven gear is used on other Toyota applications?

I do not know what the previous owner did regarding tires or diff. ratios. When I sourced tires, I went with the same revs./mile as original, at least I thought so.

I know with GM vehicles, there are numerous driven gears for a given drive gear, not familiar with Toyota.

The current gear is 17 tooth.

Will try a transmission shop, perhaps the driven gear is used on other Toyota applications?
What did you learn?

Here is what I posted on Jun 10, 2023:

I received the 33403-69135 gear. It is identical to the original 17 tooth gear, except the gear OD and tooth root is 0.090 inch larger in diameter.

I reduced the OD and cut the tooth root deeper. I reshaped the tooth profile to match the original gear. So far it works.

I figured the drive gear is steel, so worst case the nylon driven gear wears and I go back to the original.

Just an update for those interested.

Have driven the vehicle about 200 miles, inspected the gear, all is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom